PDA

View Full Version : 1992 525i transmissions fluid

jtom36
05-30-2004, 03:03 PM
I'm in the process of changing my transmission fluid and filter. I've completed everything and now it's time to put the new fluid back. However, I cannot find anything on how to replace the fluid! HELP! I need to put 5 qts. back in some way. Can anyone out there help me? I understand that I need to use a tube and fill it from underneath. My problem is that I don't have the Bentley book yet and don't know the details about the temperature or if the car needs to be running or what. It's been sitting in the garage for 3 days now. The trans. fluid came out cool and the new will be ambient temp. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

winfred
05-30-2004, 05:12 PM
i use a lube pump from a boating supply store that used to refill outdrives, it's cheep tough clean and will screw right on atf bottles, or a faster messyer way use one of those suction gun things that looks like a grease gun without the pump, they are usually used for gear oil and are a little messy

jtom36
05-30-2004, 08:01 PM
thanks for the tip. I went ahead and got a tube from Home Depot and it worked out fine. I took the car out for a test spin and seems to doing well so far. I had read on the message boards about the temp of the car and fluid. So, I was unsure if that would cause a problem. But, I decided to go ahead and fill the trans. After my third quart, there was a little dripping. So, I started up the car to let the fluid run through and then I was able to put the remaining 2 qts in. The dripping stopped and seems to be running fine. The trans program light stopped coming on too. But, there is still some more maintenance to do before I can really drive it around and make sure everything is running good.

Karl
05-30-2004, 11:18 PM
The pump is a great idea. I got one years ago from Amsoil when I changed to their gear oil, and kept it because I had previously tried the suction gun thing.

As far as temperature, the transmission has to be warmed up to just a little above body temperature. And those of us who have been through the infant feeding phase know how to tell that temp--back of your hand against the transmission case as it warms up (car on jack stands, running in drive). It will take a while. Have you checked the maintenance info at bmwe34.net ??