PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light...?

Rick L
09-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey guys,

Check engine light on my car just came on today. :( But noticed it goes off after your drive for over 5-10 minutes. I have OBD II reader but E34 doesn't have the OBD II port to read the fault codes. Is this the oxygen sensor going bad?

Thanks in advance for any info...

tim eh?
09-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey guys,

Check engine light on my car just came on today. :( But noticed it goes off after your drive for over 5-10 minutes. I have OBD II reader but E34 doesn't have the OBD II port to read the fault codes. Is this the oxygen sensor going bad?

Thanks in advance for any info...

maybe this might tell you more...

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Engine+codes

Rick L
09-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks! I'll check it out...

Rick L
09-11-2008, 07:17 PM
This didn't work for me. I pressed the throttle 5 times in key position 2 within 5 seconds but does nothing. Anyway, I replaced the O2 sensor but the check engine light is still ON. I hate to keep replacing parts I don't need. Do I need that special reset tool to read the code for E34?

elbasha
09-11-2008, 10:34 PM
I have the same problem as you, engine light is on and the engine code reader method doesn't work for me. If you find anything let me know!

By the way, if I start from 0 and then rev it up high until I get to around 50 mph, after a couple of seconds the check engine light goes off and comes on (couldn't figure out when it comes on, I just suddenly see it on again)

gale
09-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Are you getting a "1-4-4-4" code = no faults or, is it not flashing a code at all? Have you leaned in and listened to the switch under the gas pedal to hear it clicking? Sometimes they accumulate dirt and don't get full travel to trigger the switch.

If it gives you a repeated one long/one short code, then in my experience you can hold the pedal down for 10 seconds or longer and it will clear it and then the next time it will give the 1-4-4-4. After driving, if it throws another CEL, then you can capture the code. Alternatively, you can disconnect the battery (make sure you have the radio code handy) and that will clear the code(s) and start over. You can also disconnect the ECU connector if you don't want to disconnect the battery.

My theory is that after X number of CEL events, the memory gets saturated and goes autistic & the stomp test won't work, so it needs resetting. Just a theory, haven't proven it yet.

Rick L
09-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Nothing. Nothing happens. No sound, no clicking, no flashing light, nothing. I tried pressing slowly to fast but nothing. Anyway, I'll give that a try. I like to see it work. Thanks.

But my check engine light did go OFF now after driving it for few miles. I changed the O2 sensor but I didn't drive the car after replacing it since I had issues with my rims (bent). I did start the car and ran the engine for 5 minutes after changing O2 sensor but the check engine light didn't go off. Weird, it's OFF now. So I guess it was O2 sensor creating check engine light. All good. :)

Are you getting a "1-4-4-4" code = no faults or, is it not flashing a code at all? Have you leaned in and listened to the switch under the gas pedal to hear it clicking? Sometimes they accumulate dirt and don't get full travel to trigger the switch.

If it gives you a repeated one long/one short code, then in my experience you can hold the pedal down for 10 seconds or longer and it will clear it and then the next time it will give the 1-4-4-4. After driving, if it throws another CEL, then you can capture the code. Alternatively, you can disconnect the battery (make sure you have the radio code handy) and that will clear the code(s) and start over. You can also disconnect the ECU connector if you don't want to disconnect the battery.

My theory is that after X number of CEL events, the memory gets saturated and goes autistic & the stomp test won't work, so it needs resetting. Just a theory, haven't proven it yet.

632 Regal
09-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Rick, if you cant get the codes to come up... eliminate them by disconnecting the ECM computer connector for a few minutes. Get a fresh start in life and if that fails then try the stomp code thing again.

Rick L
09-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the advise. I'll try that tonight as I like to see what codes shows up. My check engine light is OFF. I needed to drive my car for few miles. I started my car today morning and NO check engine light. :) Bad O2 sensor. I used Bosch OE O2 sensor (P/N # 13108). Weird thing is that all the auto parts places told me I needed two sensors. If I'm not mistaken, only 540i for E34 has two. I did call the dealer and they verified that I only needed one.

Rick, if you cant get the codes to come up... eliminate them by disconnecting the ECM computer connector for a few minutes. Get a fresh start in life and if that fails then try the stomp code thing again.

Rick L
09-12-2008, 08:22 AM
I had similar issue like you described for several days. Check engine light came on when the engine was cold but driving it on the expressway (55+ m.p.h.) it was gone. But after several days, check engine light became perminent regardless of driving fast or not. It turned out to be bad O2 sensor.

I have the same problem as you, engine light is on and the engine code reader method doesn't work for me. If you find anything let me know!

By the way, if I start from 0 and then rev it up high until I get to around 50 mph, after a couple of seconds the check engine light goes off and comes on (couldn't figure out when it comes on, I just suddenly see it on again)

tim eh?
09-12-2008, 11:44 AM
hey i really don't know but another thread made me wonder if your problem could be one of those weird charging system electrical gremlins (ie alternator or battery?)