PDA

View Full Version : Leaking head?

rockitansky6831
09-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Gents, I have a 93 525i m50 engine that has a very slow/small head leak...appears to be radiator fluid and maybe a little oil. I think it overheated slightly when I changed my water pump....long story there.

Initially I added some Bar's Leaks Radiator stop leak, it states it seals heads etc., but I have not driven it enuff to see if it still leaks.

My question is can I attempt to re-torque head per BMW specs or is that a bad idea? thx all Brian. And can I use conventional torx bits?

bad_manners_god
09-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Gents, I have a 93 525i m50 engine that has a very slow/small head leak...appears to be radiator fluid and maybe a little oil. I think it overheated slightly when I changed my water pump....long story there.

Initially I added some Bar's Leaks Radiator stop leak, it states it seals heads etc., but I have not driven it enuff to see if it still leaks.

My question is can I attempt to re-torque head per BMW specs or is that a bad idea? thx all Brian. And can I use conventional torx bits?

Does the stop leak you used state it seals aluminum heads?

rockitansky6831
09-03-2008, 08:06 PM
yes

bad_manners_god
09-03-2008, 08:13 PM
yes

Ok, Then just bleed the system and it should be fine.

Re-torquing the headbolts in my opionion would be a bad idea because per bmw spec, it's like 25 ft/lbs and then 90 degree turn and then another 90 degree turn so you don't actually know where the torque is at and might strip or snap the headbolts, which would be a really bad thing.