PDA

View Full Version : Newbee Question - Jack stand position

530iBall
05-30-2004, 10:25 AM
I've got everything I need to do my yearly maintenance and I've jacked my '95 530i up - my stupid question is - where is the best place to locate the jack stands. I'll do the rear first (fuel filter) and then the front later so I need both positions. I'm sitting here waiting to get started so any quick replies would be appreciated. THanks!

Bill R.
05-30-2004, 10:29 AM
Here
(http://www.nmia.com/%7Edgnrg/page_7.htm)

I've got everything I need to do my yearly maintenance and I've jacked my '95 530i up - my stupid question is - where is the best place to locate the jack stands. I'll do the rear first (fuel filter) and then the front later so I need both positions. I'm sitting here waiting to get started so any quick replies would be appreciated. THanks!

winfred
05-30-2004, 11:06 AM
i still don't get the problem some people have with jacking on the front crossmember and diff, these are the most strong and securely mounted components of the car, i wouldn't lift directly from the rear crossmember from the stand point of over stressing the old subframe mounts

Unregistered
05-30-2004, 11:17 AM
I have tried lifting from rear crossmember one time and that would be the last time. That caused a slight crack in crossmember. I welded the crack but decided to get a new one. Expensive mistake. Last time I'm going to lift from crossmember.

i still don't get the problem some people have with jacking on the front crossmember and diff, these are the most strong and securely mounted components of the car, i wouldn't lift directly from the rear crossmember from the stand point of over stressing the old subframe mounts

winfred
05-30-2004, 11:40 AM
another reason for not jacking the rear crossmember, it does span the entire width of the car with no support in the center

I have tried lifting from rear crossmember one time and that would be the last time. That caused a slight crack in crossmember. I welded the crack but decided to get a new one. Expensive mistake. Last time I'm going to lift from crossmember.