PDA

View Full Version : Not passing emissions

h2oyo
09-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Hello,
I have a 1995 540i and it just wont pass emissions. I haven't done a lot to get through yet but I was hoping for some help figuring this out. I have taken the auto trans out and replaced with a 5 speed, could this cause issues with the computer and emissions? Here is what I get when I try to run through emissions. Hydrocarbons 2.35 applicable is 0.80, Carbon monoxiced is 17.40 applicable is 12.0 and oxides of nitrogen (NOX) is 5.21 applicable is 2.0. I have put in a known good ECU and changed the plugs. The plugs looked ok to me but changed them anyway. This is my 3rd time through emissions and the numbers above are not changing much either way. I am going to order up some cats and have them installed. I will get the universal cats and let them weld them in. What do you guys think is the problems here? Any and all help is much apperciated.
Thanks
Johan

russiankid
09-02-2008, 08:54 PM
O2 sensor(s)?

h2oyo
09-03-2008, 11:55 PM
O2 sensor(s)?

Yeah I thought of that also and have ordered up the two 02 sensors before the cats. I will just have to try and let you know what happens.
Thanks for the help
Johan

gale
09-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Try a "Shogun reset" (disconnect the battery for a few minutes). I spun the impeller on the waterpump shaft when warming up my wife's e36 m50 too aggressively on the way to the emissions test (tailpipe passed, gas cap flunked) and it overheated on the way home. It set a 1-2-2-3 fault when the temp sensor went out of range, and went open loop and failed the tailpipe test the 2nd time. I reset the ECU and it passed fine the 3rd time (had to buy a new gas cap).

shrike071
09-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Please, for the love of all that is holy - do NOT get anything other than OEM cats. I know of what I speak! I bought 2 sets of aftermarket cats and neither was strong enough to get the car to pass.

There are sites out there (convertergeeks.com) that will sell you a re-certified OEM BMW cat and that's really the only way to go, other than purchasing a set from the dealer. The aftermarket units simply don't have enough guts to clean the air.

When you get to the testing site, the cats need to be HOT. Not just 'driving around town warm'. We're talking get out on the freeway and drive 70 MPH for about 15 minutes, then head straight to the testing sight and don't turn the car off and get tested immediately. These cats are notorious for failing for no other reason other than they were not hot enough.

Also, change the oil, filter (fuel and oil), make sure the plugs are gapped correctly, and change your O2 sensors.

h2oyo
09-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Please, for the love of all that is holy - do NOT get anything other than OEM cats. I know of what I speak! I bought 2 sets of aftermarket cats and neither was strong enough to get the car to pass.

There are sites out there (convertergeeks.com) that will sell you a re-certified OEM BMW cat and that's really the only way to go, other than purchasing a set from the dealer. The aftermarket units simply don't have enough guts to clean the air.

When you get to the testing site, the cats need to be HOT. Not just 'driving around town warm'. We're talking get out on the freeway and drive 70 MPH for about 15 minutes, then head straight to the testing sight and don't turn the car off and get tested immediately. These cats are notorious for failing for no other reason other than they were not hot enough.

Also, change the oil, filter (fuel and oil), make sure the plugs are gapped correctly, and change your O2 sensors.

Thanks everyone I will do all of that. I just want to drive my car again smiles.
Thanks
Johan

attack eagle
09-05-2008, 07:45 PM
shrike, website is nla.

I know you tried DEC cats. I know they are rated pretty low GVWR also (so you know they are less efficient)

Did you try the magnaflow 94000 oval series listed for 525 (which are bassackwards btw, with dual in and single out), or Catco direct replacement (SS downpipes and post cat section, $260 bucks) or one of the $135 6000 or 7000 lb gvwr rated Catco cats?

I'm driving on an expired registration until i can determine a cat that will let me pass the stupid 2 speed idle emissions tests (stupid because 1/2 the vehicle traffic is either mexican or New Mex. and not subject to testing).

Or sell the car to my brother in MS and defeat the requirement that way.

Nuke the unborn gay whales! :)

h2oyo
09-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Hello,
I have a 1995 540i and it just wont pass emissions. I haven't done a lot to get through yet but I was hoping for some help figuring this out. I have taken the auto trans out and replaced with a 5 speed, could this cause issues with the computer and emissions? Here is what I get when I try to run through emissions. Hydrocarbons 2.35 applicable is 0.80, Carbon monoxiced is 17.40 applicable is 12.0 and oxides of nitrogen (NOX) is 5.21 applicable is 2.0. I have put in a known good ECU and changed the plugs. The plugs looked ok to me but changed them anyway. This is my 3rd time through emissions and the numbers above are not changing much either way. I am going to order up some cats and have them installed. I will get the universal cats and let them weld them in. What do you guys think is the problems here? Any and all help is much apperciated.
Thanks
Johan
Hello all,
I wanted to let everyone know that I got my car through emissions. I had the cats changed and they were empty nothing in there hollow. After the cat change it blew threw emission no problems. I was told that the only way for the cats to be completely empty is if somebody physically does it. I dont know what the owner before me did but I know i'm good for a long time now smiles. Thanks for all the help.
johan