PDA

View Full Version : Gas or oil filled shock absorber

Claude
09-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Have to change mine on the front one has leak last weak (oil leak).

I plan to order new ones from BMA, i notice through their web site that what they recommend (BOGE, MEYLE etc...) are all gas filled insert and the original one from BMW are oil filled; so is it really OK to go with gas filled inserts or is it a compromise we are doing to get cheaper price ? What the performance difference ?

Bruno
09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't get KYB, and you cannot go wrong with Sachs which is OEM. If you have more money you can go Bilsteins HD. I never used the Bilsteins Touring, they might just work fine.

But gas shocks still have oil in them:

GAS SHOCKS
Definition: A type of shock absorber that's pressurized with nitrogen gas to reduce internal foaming and cavitation. Considered to be a premium grade shock, gas shocks are often used as original equipment on sports sedans and even mini-vans. A gas shock usually provides noticeably better ride control and flatter cornering. They're well worth considering if you're in need of replacement shocks.

http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/U/L/gasshock.gif

Claude
09-02-2008, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't get KYB, and you cannot go wrong with Sachs which is OEM. If you have more money you can go Bilsteins HD. I never used the Bilsteins Touring, they might just work fine.

But gas shocks still have oil in them:

GAS SHOCKS
Definition: A type of shock absorber that's pressurized with nitrogen gas to reduce internal foaming and cavitation. Considered to be a premium grade shock, gas shocks are often used as original equipment on sports sedans and even mini-vans. A gas shock usually provides noticeably better ride control and flatter cornering. They're well worth considering if you're in need of replacement shocks.

http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/U/L/gasshock.gif

Would a Monroe replacement do the job properly ? that's the only one i can get localy; alternative being either to get it from BMW dealer or from BMA

Bruno
09-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I used them on my mother's 524td, not a sport shock in any way but would work fine for a daily driver.

Bill R.
09-02-2008, 11:09 AM
superior to an oil filled only shock. The gas keeps the oil from foaming when the shock is worked hard. Unlike Bruno i have had no complaints from customers about KYB shocks and struts and they ride fine in everything i've put them in. I wouldn't hesitate to order from Pat or Yves from BMA instead of Monroe.

Have to change mine on the front one has leak last weak (oil leak).

I plan to order new ones from BMA, i notice through their web site that what they recommend (BOGE, MEYLE etc...) are all gas filled insert and the original one from BMW are oil filled; so is it really OK to go with gas filled inserts or is it a compromise we are doing to get cheaper price ? What the performance difference ?

Claude
09-02-2008, 12:05 PM
superior to an oil filled only shock. The gas keeps the oil from foaming when the shock is worked hard. Unlike Bruno i have had no complaints from customers about KYB shocks and struts and they ride fine in everything i've put them in. I wouldn't hesitate to order from Pat or Yves from BMA instead of Monroe.

Thank you all guy, your comments really help me.