PDA

View Full Version : M50 torquing cylinder head bolts...

Bruno
09-01-2008, 03:01 PM
So I found a cracked cylinder head on the touring, fine bought another one for cheap, got it rebuilt and installed it on the touring after cleaning everything up.

The 1st torque value is around 22ft-lb, then it is 90degrees and another 90 degrees.

The second 90degrees, the bolt torwards the front of the engine were harder to torque then the one at the back of the car...

Felt kind of weird but I can't really check anything as there is no torque value, maybe I should try to define a torque value and make sure that they all make a click sound on the torque wrench...

Jon K
09-01-2008, 05:05 PM
bruno thats the weirdness with angle torque specs. Just torque to the angle they say and leave it. Don't try and get a torque value from that angle it'll just make things even more confusing.

whiskychaser
09-01-2008, 05:27 PM
I had to change mine more than once. First time round I have to agree the front ones felt tighter. That time I did them all standing at the right front wheel. Standing there, the bonnet (hood) was in the way of my bar when I got to the front bolts. So I had to angle it in towards me which made it that much more difficult. Maybe a coincidence but next time round I walked to the other side to do the front ones and didnt notice a difference. I must admit I would prefer 3 x nm or lbft torque readings. Those bolts dont come with a certificate to say how accurate they are:D

Dave M
09-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I've done it twice with the engine mounted to a stand. With the ability to move around, they all felt fairly consistent. When leaning into the engine bay, your 'intenal torque wrench' can't be trusted. I can relate to your curiosity and would also want to know whether the back ones were torqued the same as the front. Then again, do you really want to know ;)

Dave

Bruno
09-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys, well I put everything back into the car and it runs nice.
The lifters are making a little bit of noise but I am using probably too thin of an oil 5W40... Sooo, I will go thicker and it should be better.

Now, I need to figure out why the lights on the dashboard are always on... That explains why the battery always drain.

Mendozart
09-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Hey guys, when you angle torque, do you use the special tool, or just eyeball the 90 degree angle?

Bruno
09-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Hey guys, when you angle torque, do you use the special tool, or just eyeball the 90 degree angle?

I use a torque angle gauge.

http://www.tooltopia.com/ProductImages/40/KDT3336.jpg

whiskychaser
09-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Eyeball it. Cant give you a logical reason why but I like to do it in one movement too

winfred
09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
calibrated eyeball