PDA

View Full Version : I think my transmission case is cracked :^(

ryan roopnarine
08-31-2008, 10:31 PM
car is a 7/91 american 525i. it has the m50 and a 4l30e/a4s310r 4 speed gm transmission.

about 6 months ago, i took the transmission out of my car to fix the "intermediate gasket" problem. fluid would leak out of the junction between the overdrive and the main body of the transmission. fyi, the transmission in this car consists of three pieces, the main, the overdrive/reverse, and the bellhousing.

refer here
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=24_0798&hg=24&fg=15

for pics.

the leak is occuring out of the item in the dead center of the page. i overfilled the transmission by at least 2 quarts because i disassembled it, and will have to put more in as the unit sucks it in at startup. was this wrong? the middle item has two inch long tubes (see item at extreme right, there are two o-rings and holes at its bottom that these tubes mate to. one of these tubes is leaking before the engine is even turned on. i think that the gasket wasn't even faulty, but that the case tube was leaking and making it appear as though it was coming from the junction. i sprayed the leak site with contact cleaner, and the leak re-formed from the front of the vehicle. the seals are located in the back half of the transmission, so i know that i didn't cause the problem by installing such incorrectly. also, the tube on the other side of the car remains perfectly dry, even overfilled.

what i'm thinking of doing:
you can get to the tube by going through the front pan and sticking your finger between the valve body and the case of the tranny. i'm thinking that if i remove the front valve body, i can get my finger or a epoxy nozzle into the tube, and slather it down with sealant. is there any good (preferably professional) product that would work well for this? it is good for me that the tube runs from the front and mates with the back, because it is obvious that the front is the cause, and if worse comes to worse, i should be able to get the section with tubes for 2-300$. please understand that everything related to this project has taken 3-4x as long as it should have, and that I really, really, really, really, really don't want to pull the transmission again unless i have to. I didn't use any valve body gaskets out of the rebuild kit, so those are still available to me. i don't believe that i caused this problem, because despite the tranny having partially fallen off of the jack at one point, the leak is exactly the same as the one as i was trying to fix. thanks for your time.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Hey, if you need case parts...I have a dead GM trans.

I can turn my boys loose on it and turn it into parts and send you a case...from Hawaii