PDA

View Full Version : Front end thoughts; correct me if i'm wrong

Al Gray
08-29-2008, 06:59 PM
I am have had a discussion about front end replacement parts with my son. I have replaced the thrust arms and it has helped. However at 205,000 miles my thinking is to replace the remaining parts especially the steering components including idler arm, right and left tie rods, and the center tie rod. This was the suggestion of BMA. Also, I would like the control arms and the sway bar links. I think that should about do it. A suggestion was made to take it to our independent mechanic to diagnose the problem for a small fee but I think he is going to tell me what I feel I already know.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cost for the remaining parts from BMA would be $559 with free shipping. All instructions for the job are on the website with pictures and detail.

Al Gray

e34.535i.sport
08-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi Al, you don't mention what problem you're actually having?

The jobs you plan on doing there aren't difficult with the right tools they just take a bit of time, you'll be fine doing that work yourself.

Al Gray
08-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi Al, you don't mention what problem you're actually having?

The jobs you plan on doing there aren't difficult with the right tools they just take a bit of time, you'll be fine doing that work yourself.

The steering has a lot of play in the wheel. I believe that all the front end stuff is original equipment.

Al Gray

632 Regal
08-30-2008, 01:07 AM
I replaced everything except the idler arm, it was fine. A lot of slack can be in the remaining steering items so yes a redo of it all isnt crazy. One thing to look into is steering box play, but with the rest taken care of will be minimal in comparison.

BigKriss
08-30-2008, 06:24 AM
replace everything excluding the pitman arm, there is no wear on that item. the bush in the idler arm can wear out.

okay cya

Tiger
08-30-2008, 08:35 AM
I definitely would start off with all steering components except the pitman arm. For the idler arm, you are better off buying the whole thing instead of just the bushing.... which you will have to press out and in.

Sway bar link is a must do item also.

Since it is pretty safe to do the control arm... if you are up to it, then go for it.