PDA

View Full Version : Help: the car stalled

OlegŠ
05-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Stopped by the grocery store and the car wouldnt start. It cranks, starter works but engine would not hold it at all. Maybe just for 1-2 seconds and stalls. As if there is no gas in the tank...But arrow reading is atleast 1/2 of the tank.

Further attempts to start the engine wouldnt even let the engine turn on itself.

Stomp test gave me the code 1221 - Oxygen sensor but it barely makes any sence to me. Why it wouldnt start at all? And now stomp test doesnt even work. Check engine light stays on and doesnt flash.

What to look for?
M20 1989 525iA 262,000 miles...

632 Regal
05-29-2004, 10:53 PM
did you try to hold the peddle down to the floor and start it? Could be winter fuel boiling up and dumping into the engine. If the peddle is down supposibly the fuel pressure is shut off till you let off the peddle.

OlegŠ
05-29-2004, 11:28 PM
did you try to hold the peddle down to the floor and start it? Could be winter fuel boiling up and dumping into the engine. If the peddle is down supposibly the fuel pressure is shut off till you let off the peddle.
pedal both down and not would not make any difference...

Rodericb
05-30-2004, 06:05 PM
It could be a bad check valve in the fuel pump. I had a problem with warm/hot engine starts. The car would start fine in the morning but after driving the car, it was extremely hard to start and wouldn't hold an idle unless I kept my foot on the gas. After installing a check value on the fuel pump in the trunk, the problem went away. Next thing for me to do is replace my ICV.

Stopped by the grocery store and the car wouldnt start. It cranks, starter works but engine would not hold it at all. Maybe just for 1-2 seconds and stalls. As if there is no gas in the tank...But arrow reading is atleast 1/2 of the tank.

Further attempts to start the engine wouldnt even let the engine turn on itself.

Stomp test gave me the code 1221 - Oxygen sensor but it barely makes any sence to me. Why it wouldnt start at all? And now stomp test doesnt even work. Check engine light stays on and doesnt flash.

What to look for?

jpkasper
06-01-2004, 02:47 PM
I had the exact symptoms including check engine light and 1221 stomp test code. After my car sat for a while, it would run for a few minutes then quit. In my car, it turned out to be the fuel pump. Replacement was a breeze, and so was the troubleshooting. Have someone turn the ignition on without starting the car. While this is happening, open your trunk and listen for the fuel pump. It will only run for a few seconds, so pay attention. Another way is to jumper across the fuel pump relay and see if it is running.

Good Luck,

Paul

What to look for?

Tiger
06-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Get some gas like 5 gal... and put it in the gas tank... and try to start it up... may take a bit. The reason is bad gas that screws up your fuel gauge reading.

If adding gas doesn't work, then it might be the crank sensor. Pouring ice water on it, if hot... or let it cool... you might be able to start up the car.

Lastly is fuel pump.

Also check the main fuse

OlegŠ
06-01-2004, 10:04 PM
THe most funniest thing is after banging on flat bed tow truck my mechanic started the car next morningright up! I was trying it for 2 days...Crank sensor is fine his take is fuel pump so there it is...