PDA

View Full Version : Would bad front alignment and heavy braking cause the front tyres to overheat?

Ferret
08-27-2008, 12:30 PM
As the title suggest gents.

I've just started taking a new route to work down some wiiiiide country lanes, and there's one paricular straight on the last line that comes down into our village.

Both nights I've built up a fair bit of speed down there and braked rapidly just for the hell of it (rather than doing a smooth braking manouver) coming into the 30mph speed limit so as not to go flying past the kids school.

It's only about a 30 second drive from there to home and as I pull up I get the most god awful smell of burning rubber.

Now, I know neither of my previous E34s have done this on the odd occasion I've driven it hard. However I do know that my suspension geometry is on the move and I'm wondering if things are shifting enough to overheat the tyres on heavy deceleration?

Anyone else think this is possible?

(I've also checked all the rubber under the engine bay, including where the fan could touch something and come up with zip)

bubba966
08-27-2008, 01:34 PM
What's the temp rating of the tire?

With a low temp rating and a bad alignment I can possibly see the tires heating up during high speed followed by heavy braking.

You ever try checking the temp of the tires after you do this? Or give the tires a good sniff?

Ross
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
You need to get tires VERY hot before you'll smell them. I'd look elsewhere, or look to a career in F1.

632 Regal
08-27-2008, 09:31 PM
unless they were slightly skidding.
You need to get tires VERY hot before you'll smell them. I'd look elsewhere, or look to a career in F1.

DanDombrowski
09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
More likely you're smelling the brakes cooking. Happens all the time at the track, even with stock pads.