PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Flow check valve?

dan530i
08-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Help please,

I recently got my 1994 530I running ,after about 18 month in storage,by replacing the fuel pump, fuel float sending unit and both fuel filters.

While in storage it got really dirty, hence after my delight that it ran I immediatly took it to the car wash..Well(and I didn't say I was smart) like an idiot I washed off the engine compartment while the engine was off.

Yep, it wouldnt start. So after letting it dry for about 5 hours I still had to hit it with starting fluid to get it to fire up.

Now it will run fine but if I lrt it sit for any lenght of time I either have to crank it for 15-30 seconds or hit it with the starting fluid again.

Is it possible the fuel is back flowing to the tank and is there a check valve I can put on the fuel line and not hinder the fuel flow?????????????????

Thanks Dan

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-26-2008, 08:31 PM
The pump has the check valve onit, if that was a new pump I'd take it back.

tim eh?
08-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Help please,

I recently got my 1994 530I running ,after about 18 month in storage,by replacing the fuel pump, fuel float sending unit and both fuel filters.

While in storage it got really dirty, hence after my delight that it ran I immediatly took it to the car wash..Well(and I didn't say I was smart) like an idiot I washed off the engine compartment while the engine was off.

Yep, it wouldnt start. So after letting it dry for about 5 hours I still had to hit it with starting fluid to get it to fire up.

Now it will run fine but if I lrt it sit for any lenght of time I either have to crank it for 15-30 seconds or hit it with the starting fluid again.

Is it possible the fuel is back flowing to the tank and is there a check valve I can put on the fuel line and not hinder the fuel flow?????????????????

Thanks Dan

i've been chasing a warm start problem for ages.

instructions for installing a check valve can be found here on bruno's wiki site (http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=535i+hot+start).

[man we ought to have a sticky link for that site it is so invaluable]

i did that, after a new fuel pump relay didn't solve it.

then i put in a brand new fuel pump, no luck.

so now i'm suspecting the CPS is going a bit bad, i can't think of anything else... i can't find any injector leaks, distributor, rotor, plugs are good (admit wires are still on the list). i've ordered one so i'll let you know, but apparently you can just clean it. it is a common cause of not starting.

Rus
08-28-2008, 08:53 AM
I used to have a erratic starting issue caused by fuel drain-back. I had a new fuel pump, a fuel line check valve (OEM part. Search this forum for a part # posting) and finally changed the injectors out. The issue was still there. Then I pulled off the vacuum hose from my fuel pressure regulator and behold...fuel was coming out of the vacuum fitting. I replaced the regulator and all is well in the land now. If you run out of options, check that regulator.