PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension squeak Search Completed plz Help

cgmorris
08-26-2008, 06:25 PM
So heres my question/problem:

OK, so whenever I actually have to ask a question on these boards I try to do as much homework as possible to help the diagnosis.

1.) Ive looked both on here Roadfly and bimmerboard and searched for similar cases very few found no real answers

2.) I have a noise coming from my rear suspension. It might or might not be the rear subframe bushing but the noise doesnt match the usual thunk. Its a long drawn out screech/creaking sound when a load is placed on the suspension either when driving or when I push down on the car--very loud and annoying . I have within the last year replaced the dogbones, although that may not rule them out. The shocks and springs are newly installed koni adj. and eibachs about a year ago also. The mounts are new also. When I jacked the car from the subframe cross member (under the diff) there was about half an inch of up and down travel from the subframe bushing (is this normal?). The noise dissipated the further the suspension stretched/all the suspension arms moved. I have listened and cant localize the sound any further than the rear tire area... its that loud and showed up very rapidly.

I will gladly answer any questions or clarify if need be I need an answer before I have to replace the whole back half of my car.

e34.535i.sport
08-26-2008, 07:01 PM
First of all Hi & welcome!!!

Did u do the suspension work yourself? Were the springpads replaced with the shocks & springs? Are the springs seated correctly?
Might also be worth checking the big bolt that holds the bottom end of the strut on is torqued correctly... And spray some lubricating grease on the hole that bolt goes thru too, it can sqeak. Oh check the handbrake shoe isn't rubbing on the hub even with the lever all the way down, I've had terrible troubles with mine and it caused a hell of a sqeak! I had to remove the brake disc to discover my problem was fairly bad... If u need more details just ask!!!!! HTH.

cgmorris
08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
OK

So I just had the car jacked up and inspected the spring area everything looks as is did when I installed the shocks and springs a year ago (no squeek then). As for that bolt / place where the shock goes into the car's suspension arm, I think I have time to check that out tomorrow.

As for breaks Ive all but ruled that out. The noise directly correlates to suspension travel eg speed bumps etc. mostly at low speed as my sweet RD exhaust tone drowns it out at speeds over 15mph. As another hint at what it might be the noise occurs in about the last two inches of wheel travel. The strut itself looked good and had no apparent signs of leaking oil (although the konis might be Gas only?)

BTW sweet looking 535i I had an E28 535is before switching to my 95 540/6 (staggered throwing stars--polished and centers triple black. Car is Black on Black.)

Ross
08-26-2008, 08:10 PM
The thing to do is have a helper bounce the car while you listen for the source of the sound. What you describe makes me think metal on metal like a dry sway bar link if that helps.
EDIT; Ooops rear, no links.