PDA

View Full Version : Front end Rattle

SKB
08-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi all.

I have a 1993 525I with about 145K on it. I took it to a mechanic to have the oil pan gasket replaced. When I got it back I now have this front end rattle when I hit bumps at about 20 MPH or so. (It seems to rattle right around the front driver side axel area.) Does not do it at high speeds and didn't do it before I took it in.

All seems tight in the front end, steering, breaking, and no other issues. I was wondering what all has do be done to change the oil pan gasket (was pretty costly job.)and if there is something I can check to just tighen up...Thx.

Ferret
08-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi all.

I have a 1993 525I with about 145K on it. I took it to a mechanic to have the oil pan gasket replaced. When I got it back I now have this front end rattle when I hit bumps at about 20 MPH or so. (It seems to rattle right around the front driver side axel area.) Does not do it at high speeds and didn't do it before I took it in.

All seems tight in the front end, steering, breaking, and no other issues. I was wondering what all has do be done to change the oil pan gasket (was pretty costly job.)and if there is something I can check to just tighen up...Thx.

It's quite common that if your bushings are ready to let go, and you lift the car in the air with its wheels dangling down, for all the bushings to rip up. I've just had this happen with mine - after fixing the rear suspension up the front end's now yelling because I've ripped up the bushings moving it around :D

Same thing happened on my 525TDs, c'ept a shock let go after it'd been in the air having the guibo replaced :)

Ross
08-26-2008, 09:23 AM
It's also common for guys to drop the crossmember for clearance to remove the pan. This could cause a nominal bushing to fail.
There is also the possibility that something was left loose.