PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Sparkplugs #2 and 3

Bo525i
08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Canīt get sparkplugs #2 and 3 out..

Any good tricks available apart from WD40 etc. :)

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Try when the motor is warm.

Be careful, if the plugs have rusted into the alloy, then they will gall and damage the threads.

632 Regal
08-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Just crack them loose when warm, removing them even if not rusted WILL GALL the THREADS!!

Try when the motor is warm.

Be careful, if the plugs have rusted into the alloy, then they will gall and damage the threads.

Ross
08-25-2008, 05:17 PM
If they are loosened and fighting try some PB Blaster in the plug holes.
Work them back and forth a little at a time, be patient.
I do not recommend attempting to remove plugs from a hot or warm aluminum head, usually a recipe for ruined treads.
Worst case ie rethreading the holes, not as scary as it sounds but stil a pain in the ass.

Bill R.
08-25-2008, 10:16 PM
on the ford 4.6 and 5.4 and the bmw E39's with the 2.8 motor... The ford factory bulletins for the 5.4 which is famous for seizing plugs and destroying the threads in the head is to start with a head not cold and not hot, Room temperature or slightly above, in other words run if for a minute or less so the head is just warm to the touch,

Then you back the plug out 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. Put 2 or 3 ounces of PB blaster down each plug hole up the level of the porcelain or so. I let the really seized ones on a ford sit all day and tried them the next morning , first i screwed them back in and then slowly started turning them out, if it got too hard i turned them back in a half or so and worked them out gradually. Previously i always did them dead cold and the results with this room temp was much better. I also tried BG penetrating oil and the PB blaster worked much better so it evidently does make a difference.

Paul in NZ
08-25-2008, 10:21 PM
first i screwed them back in and then slowly started turning them out, if it got too hard i turned them back in a half or so and worked them out gradually. .

thats my recipe for getting out any stubborn threaded fixing

Bo525i
08-26-2008, 04:04 AM
Theyīre deadstuck all the way down, no movement in either direction.. wonīt budge at all.

Thanks guys, now Iīve got something to work with! :)

Ross
08-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Gonna have to lean on 'em. Good luck

anonymous1
08-26-2008, 04:33 PM
When mine got stuck, I went with the gently gently method... Otherwise known as a breaker bar. Haven't had any problem and I've took them out since. *Touches wood*

Don't think this is the recommended method though. :p

whiskychaser
08-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Gonna have to lean on 'em. Good luck

My sentiments exactly. Its just knowing how hard to lean