PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good way to clean a car cover?

zmuff
05-29-2004, 07:12 PM
My factory car cover is looking pretty dirty these days, anyone know of a good way to clean it up? I can't seem to find any info on it. Washing machine? Soak it in Woolite? Suck it up and buy another one?

Jim540i
05-29-2004, 07:46 PM
What is the material?

winfred
05-29-2004, 09:49 PM
put on car and wash with car soap and light brush rinse turn inside out and repeat?

rickm
05-30-2004, 07:51 AM
Or wash it like you would a tent...use a non detergent soap and plenty of water. Air dry. If you have to toss it into the washer use one of the front loaders that don't have the agitators.

George M
05-30-2004, 08:08 AM
I washed mine for the first time last year...and it is extra big because it is for a 735iL car and about 6 years old....in my home washing machine....was a tight fit :-) A commercial front load washer would be better. It came out real nice. Just set your machine for gentle cycle...warm and not scalding hot water and use a normal amount of detergent. Can pre-spot if you wish....most covers are Scotchguarded and hence wash up real nice. I then put it in the dryer and also set it on low heat. It did not shrink and looks like new. My cover tends to get dirty down around the bottom in particular where is rubs on the tires and tire dressing gets on it.
HTH,
George

Unregistered
05-30-2004, 07:43 PM
A pressure washer such as a ~1,300 psi Karcher with rotating head, if used prudently and not too close to the fabric, will work very well, too.

Caution: If you get too close, the pressure spray will probably cut or fray the fabric.

zmuff
06-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Thanks all, it looks like a trip to the neighborhood laundromat is in order. I haven't been to one of those in a hundred years. I think I'll wash all of my dirty shop rags while I'm there too...yes, in a different machine...lol!