PDA

View Full Version : Bleedin' brakes

whiskychaser
08-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Had to change the rear hard lines on the trailing arms today. Cost me all of £5 for the pipes and £6 for the DOT 4 fluid. Used the famous Gunsons pressure tester and the services of my lovely partner. Points of use:
Bleed nipple is 7mm
(two of mine were rusted and the spanner spun so I used little mole grips)
Pipe connection is 11mm. Ditto on above regarding rust. The flexi hoses they connect to didnt have flats so use your big moles to stop them moving. There is a funny bracket affair over the connectors. Dont forget to put them back. The Gunsons kit says run it at 20 psi. Bentleys says 1bar (14.5psi). I'd say 12 is about right. Run the pressure kit 'dry' first and check for leaks. It blows enough brake fluid out without making it worse by have the kit reservoir full! Bentleys says your lovely assistant should press the pedal twelve times and hold at the bottom of the last stroke. Feel free but it wont take that long to get the air out. Bleed order: osr/nsr/osf/nsf. Is it easier than 'conventional' two 'person' bleeding? Probably saved her legs a bit of exercise but didnt do much for me. No change there then:D