PDA

View Full Version : Big bad boo-boo

SnakeyesTx
08-20-2008, 04:52 PM
It was raining like hell today in Houston, and naturally I get sent out for picking up parts for work today. I see lake in front of me which used to be a side road to the interstate so I opt to get on the freeway and skip my pickups. Just as I'm about to be free of lake car-killer, some moron in a large box truck blasts through the lake at a good 30-40mph. The bow wave coming over the top of my hood was a good 4 feet from ground level and I hear the motor stall. When the wave receeds, I feel the front end float and get pulled into the lake. Wonderful.

I take off my shoes, socks and try to push out of the lake which is actually clear about 20 feet in front of me. A good samaritan pushes my car through with his truck and I'm in a parking lot.

109 dollars and a tow later, I have it at my work, and I'm ripping the plugs out, tossing the now soaked air filter, and squirting WD40 down the cylinder bores.

Cranked the motor over and a little water shot out, I let the engine dry for a good two hours with a heat gun blowing down the cylinder bores. Pulled the oil dipstick and there appears to be no evidence of water in the oil pan (about to change it anyway - read ahead why).

Motor fired right up, but ran at a much lower rpm .. sub 500. Almost a liter of water came out of the tail pipe so as instructed by a friend who's gone through this nightmare before, I allowed the motor to idle for a good 20 minutes or so. After a while I slowly pushed in the throttle to about 1000 rpm and it came up fine and a bit more water came out (this whole time white smoke is coming out from drying out water). At around 1500 rpm it was smooth, occasional misfire but smooth otherwise so I slowly bring the idle back down to its 500ish state and the check engine light starts FLASHING at me. I've never seen that before. Also the traction control light is now stuck on. Then I began to hear a deep knock so again I pull the oil dipstick and now it looks a little light in color so I suspect there was water down there afterall and low pressure due to water being slurried in there.

My question is... why did the CEL literally blink at me? (E39 540 btw)

Paul in NZ
08-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Just as I'm about to be free of lake car-killer, some moron in a large box truck blasts through the lake at a good 30-40mph.
My question is... why did the CEL literally blink at me? (E39 540 btw)
i would be so pissed off with that idiot...
hope you get things right.

SnakeyesTx
08-20-2008, 08:39 PM
All I can say is, what an incredible machine the M62 engine is.

After changing the coffee-with-cream colored oil and filter, fired the engine right up (see previous post of all the other stuff done before this post), and it sounded healthier before the shut-down. The knocking noise went away but there were peculiar little knocks and pings like the engine was "working things out within itself."

I let it idle for about 5 minutes then finally figured no better time than now and I'm proud to report that the car made the whole 19 mile trip home. The whole way I short-shifted around 2,300-2,500 or so just to keep the revs down in case there was any hiccups or water still making its way through. The idle is a little bumpy right now and I had 15 error codes, mass air flow sensor (Dreading that one) which I dried out with a hair dryer for 2 hours before re-installing but it may be too late for it, and 7 misfire error codes (cylinders 3-8 individual misfire codes) and a "multiple misfire" code, and a couple fuel trim codes (hoping my o2 sensors aren't trashed).

It looks like I'll have to do a flush an yet another oil change before I completely get the water out of the crankcase, but I was really proud of being able to make it home after being floated out to sea by that idiot truck driver.

Paul in NZ
08-20-2008, 09:58 PM
take the maf out and leave on the hot water cylinder all night...

Ferret
08-21-2008, 03:54 AM
The misfire/o2 codes will be natural, count yourself lucky she still runs - we had nationwide flooding last year and the number of written off cars because of people submerging the cars nose was shocking!

You may have busted O2/Cats if *cold* water got down the exhaust - the O2 wires and the ceramic cats may shatter if rapidly cooled. Pull the battery and let it sit for a while.

If the MAF/O2 sensors have been submerged your ECU maps will be completely ****-up, you'll need to reset the ECU to get it running right again. They should be electrically hardy devices though so you shouldnt have to worry too much.

Get yourself a can of carb cleaner and pull the ICV & clean - if you were crawling along/idling when the water hit - that's where it'll have gone through.

It may be worth pulling the intake manifold and putting it somewhere warm for a while - there'll be pockets of water everywhere in it!

I think whiskychaser posted about someone doing something similar to him last year - was being careful through a flood and some tit in a van powered through the other side of the flood.

tim eh?
08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
... but I was really proud of being able to make it home after being floated out to sea by that idiot truck driver.

no kidding, wtg man - hope she pulls through!

Bill R.
08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
malfunction that can be harmful to the engine such as excessively rich mixture. The check engine light comes on and stays on for emissions related codes but blinks for more serious stuff..... I can just about guarantee that it took out the mass air flow sensor. I have a mercedes customer with an e320, virtually the same mass air sensor as your car, I've replaced hers 4 times now, every monsoon season she goes through a dip thats got water in it, claims its less than a foot deep and always takes out the MAF. The air inlet on the mercedes is fairly low and it sucks in enough water to kill the maf pretty easily.