PDA

View Full Version : Some magic black smoke is escaping

redandgearhead
08-19-2008, 09:40 PM
I have a '94 525i with about 155K and the cassette/6 CD changer. When I turn on my radio, I start smelling the magic smoke escaping from some where. Also, there is static from the left rear speaker no matter what I do with the volume or fader/balance. So I think the problem is past the radio head.

Is there a known problem with the "hifi amplifier"? Or maybe a known chaffing point for wires?

Thanks.

shogun
08-20-2008, 12:15 AM
No known spots as far as I know. Usually damages occur where the preowner has made some magic fixes or changes. No other way, remove the radio and check it out, A burnt wire can be even detected without a multimeter.

Ross
08-20-2008, 07:55 AM
If it turns ou to be the amplifier I have one with all the smoke still inside.
PM me if you can use it.
Good luck.

Paul in NZ
08-20-2008, 04:17 PM
if It Turns Ou To Be The Amplifier I Have One With All The Smoke Still Inside.
Good Luck.
:)

tim eh?
08-21-2008, 01:44 PM
I have a '94 525i with about 155K and the cassette/6 CD changer. When I turn on my radio, I start smelling the magic smoke escaping from some where. Also, there is static from the left rear speaker no matter what I do with the volume or fader/balance. So I think the problem is past the radio head.

Is there a known problem with the "hifi amplifier"? Or maybe a known chaffing point for wires?

Thanks.

i bet you have at least 2 wires (lb spkr and either power or ground if there is burning) that are cracked or cut or rusted in the same spot, and if you smell it right away then it's probably in the dash somewhere, maybe one of the plastic plug/connector things went bad and is shorting. there's definitely a short somewhere and if it's your wires you want to find it before it kills something else - do like shogun says methinks... unless you mean magic smoke ;) ;) ... then it's ok man DON'T FIX IT!

RockJock
08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
---snip---unless you mean magic smoke ;) ;) ... then it's ok man DON'T FIX IT!

Huh? You mean like someone dropping a chunk of hash on his amp? In that case close the windows dude! ;)