PDA

View Full Version : 95' 525i "Trans Program" error

50volvo
08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Ok guys, I am new to this forum... I am a professional mechaninc, but don't normally work on BMW's

I have a 1995 525i here that runs great and shifts perfect... two days ago, it decided that it wasn't going to shift form third to fourth... then the trans program error came on. Transmission is a GM 4 speed auto (F31).

The car shifts perfect on teh 1-2, and the 2-3, but once you are in third gear, the rpm's climb until the 3-4 shift would normally occur, but it doesn't shift... then when you let off the throttle at about 4,000 rpm, the trands program error comes on and the tranny locks in third... I can manually shift it and get second gear to engage, and then it will still shift manually into third with the error code still on. Transmission has had no signs of internal failure or slippage.

So here's the technical info for you:

Battery load test was fine.

Alternator is charging perfectly.

I have removed, cleaned and re-connected ALL the computers in the car(EGM, ABS, ECU).

The transmission speed sensor tested outside the recommended ohm range, so I replaced it, but the problem still persists.

Pins 15 and 39 were burnt and cruddy on the EGM(tranny computer) plug!!??

There are NO codes stored in the ECU.

I have tested the wiring harness of the EGM and the resistances of Solenoid #1, #2, Band solenoid, Converter solenoid, pressure regulator, and speed sensor... all checked out.
I was unable to get a reading on the oil temp sensor though??

I have NOT replaced the mian relay to the ECU/DME.

Tomorrow I will drop the transmission pans and check for metal on the magnets, and also replace the fluid and filter.

I am about to remove the shift selector switch and clean the contacts on it.

The switch next to the shifter that controls "manual" or "auto" mode sticks like someone has spilled coke on it, and it will not select manual mode when I press it...

I still think it is extremely odd that pins 15 and 39 were burnt/dry/cruddy on the EGM and harness.

Let me know if there is any other info or tests you want me to perform.

Thanks for the help!

50volvo
08-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Well.... never mind any technical info. I found large metal chips in the trans pan. the magnet was a MOUNTAIN of fine-med particles. =(

So does anyone know a good transmission shop in Georgia?? Or a good place to trade this one out for one that's already rebuilt??

bubba966
08-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Well.... never mind any technical info. I found large metal chips in the trans pan. the magnet was a MOUNTAIN of fine-med particles. =(

So does anyone know a good transmission shop in Georgia?? Or a good place to trade this one out for one that's already rebuilt??

http://www.europeantransmissions.com/

And it's in Georgia even...