PDA

View Full Version : Question for steering gurus....need some help

mikemaster
05-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Symptoms:
Wanders at highway speed. Large dead spot at center. Hard to drive in a narrow lane, because as soon as you get off the dead spot it is very sensitive. With the car on jackstands, I can grab both sides of the wheel and move it, which moves the steering wheel, but it seems too loose.

What I've replaced:
shocks and struts inclucing mounts
upper and lower control arms
center and outer tie rods
idler arm

Additional info:
I think a front wheel bearing is going out, could this be a contributing factor?
I've already tightened the steering column nut under the dash.
I've also messed around with the adjustment on the steering box, but it didn't seem to take away the dead spot, just changed steering stiffness.
Could I possibly need a new steering box, and if so, how much $$$?
Also the link fron the box to the center rod has not been replaced, but I doubt that's the problem.??

After replacing everything, I was hoping it would drive like a new car, but I guess it needs something more. :(

Thanks for your help.

George M
05-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Steering precision is not a long suit of these cars. Everything has to be just right for the car to be decent. I would check the center tie rod, idler arm and pitman arm connection to the bottom of the box. Likely contribution however is from the rear...aging pitman arms or subframe bushings over and above unaddressed front components. Would say your steering box is probably OK...they are pretty robust.
HTH,
George

jplacson
05-30-2004, 01:27 PM
what's the difference between the steering adjustment nut under the dash, in the driver compartment... and the adjustment screw in the steering box? What does each one adjust?

winfred
05-30-2004, 05:24 PM
the one under the dash doesn't adjust anything, over time the nylon bushing on the splines of the collapsable column gets a little loose and you get a clunk that you feel, a little tightning and it's fixed. the one on the box adjusts the lash between the gears inside of the box, about half of the time you can squease a few more years outta your box, but if you don't adjust it right you can knock a few years off of it's life too. i think there was a couple different boxes, certain years the top end of the box wears out and you can adjust it, and others the bottom end wears out and it's now a door stop or boat anchor

what's the difference between the steering adjustment nut under the dash, in the driver compartment... and the adjustment screw in the steering box? What does each one adjust?

jplacson
05-31-2004, 01:36 AM
Thanks! :) Will the one in the engine bay adjust sensitivity? Or remove steering play?

shogun
05-31-2004, 06:47 AM
read this (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/steering/steering_box.htm)

George M
05-31-2004, 06:47 AM
sensitivity and removing steering play are related. The 32mm nut under the dash will firm up the articulated joint that connects the steering column to the splined intermediate shaft that connects to the universal joint at the base of the steering box. Tightening the steering box adjustment...being very careful not to overtighten either the box or the joint under the dash...will take the lash out of the box as Winfred mentioned. Go to Bruno's sight and review the procedure. I provided the write up for that section of Bruno's site quite a while ago.
George

an535i
11-25-2004, 12:47 PM
everytime one of my wheels hits a bump it moves the steering wheel of the car and i have to have both hands on the wheel to keep the bloody thing going totally straight..
(then i jump in my 89 corvette that rides like a lumber truck, and the steering is ****ing dead on all the time no bad road feel through the wheel) go figure..

is this a sign of overtightening the adjustment on the box??
is there a way to turn the adjuster back ? mine seems stuck

or is this simply the biggest flaw in design of the e34??