PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Low Rev Limiter Setting.

foxese34
08-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Hello All,

First time BMW owner, long time amateur wrench turner.

I've searched and searched through here but couldn't find an answer.

I have a 95 525i automatic with the M50TU engine. It has 120k miles and is in good shape except...

The rev limiter kicks in at 4700 rpm. It does this under ALL conditions, cold, hot, shifting manually or parked in neutral. The engine runs great, no hesitation or weakness on 91 octane gas. It does get about 15 mpg around town and 21 hwy, which is not as good as it should be and smells a little rich. No codes and it passed CA smog but was at the high end on some readings.

I've gone through just about every sensor I could per the Bentley and everything seems to be working. A local BMW repair shop thought the ECM might be bad so put in a different DME to no effect. What is left? I found two .25 inch metal shavings stuck to the camshaft position sensor magnet but could not identify a source. Will a non-functioning VANOS cause this? Is there a way that I can check the VANOS operation other than with the special BMW tools? I've already checked the solenoid function while removed from the car.

How about a shop in the Roseville/Sacramento, CA area that is REALLY good at weird stuff (already tried Bertinis).

Any help would be appreciated. I am sooooo frustrated!

Thanks,

CD

bubba966
08-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Could give GS Tuning a call http://www.goodstuffauto.com/

They are about 100 miles away. But when I was down there last year they certainly had a lot of M50's around.

If you ended up going to them it'd be a bit of a drive. But I'd still have the award for longest trip to the shop as I drove 850 miles to get to them...

e34.535i.sport
08-20-2008, 02:26 AM
Could give GS Tuning a call http://www.goodstuffauto.com/

They are about 100 miles away. But when I was down there last year they certainly had a lot of M50's around.

If you ended up going to them it'd be a bit of a drive. But I'd still have the award for longest trip to the shop as I drove 850 miles to get to them...

And I thought I was mad driving 100miles for a £5 bumper bracket.

bubba966
08-20-2008, 03:45 PM
And I thought I was mad driving 100miles for a £5 bumper bracket.

What, driving 850 miles without a reverse gear to get a tranny installed isn't ordinary?