PDA

View Full Version : Kleen wheels, wheel wax or low dust pads??

Gene in NC
08-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Kleen wheels, wheel wax or low dust pads??

'89 525 has some oem like pads and rotors. Heavy, heavy dust all over everything including new Borbet Hs.

Kleen wheels really work?

Wheel wax- effectiveness, brand?

Good/best very low dust pads for street car?

632 Regal
08-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Bill R's latest pic is Akebono's claimed almost no dust and no complaints. I went with his prior choice of QS ceramics and am very happy, no dust and quiet but I believe discontinued. No clue on the wheel waxes.

Bill R.
08-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Kleen wheels, they can affect the cooling of the rotors causing problems. Raybestos still makes the QS pads , they've changed the designations though. And yes akebono is my current favorite pad for general use. No noise, no dust , pretty good stopping and fairly long life. OE pads on toyota's and a number of Japanese imports. Tire rack is a good place to find them if you can't get them locally.

I have them on many customers cars and on my wifes e46 wagon. There was a huge difference in dust when i just had them on the fronts and still had the bmw pads on the rears.

Bo525i
08-18-2008, 06:44 AM
Those OE pads sure make an awful mess, unbelievable! I wish I could find some Raybestos here, I might have to settle for EBC Green Stuff instead..

bubba966
08-18-2008, 01:49 PM
I've always heard the Akebono pads are very low dusting and good stopping. Just about any ceramic pad will give you very low dusting as well.

I'd personally stay away from the Kleen Wheels as that cuts down on the rotor cooling. Especially if you had M-Systems on your car as the whole point of those wheels is to pull air across the rotor to cool it down. Apparently they do work though.

cammo
08-18-2008, 06:49 PM
anything wrong with ebc green stuff? also ill be up some new brakes n rotors one day. any suggestion on brake pads in oz with low dust

RobPatt
08-18-2008, 06:49 PM
....slightly less bite than the PBR metal master (no surprise there)... but great... heck my rear pads now make more dust than my fronts (stock on rear).

shanek
08-18-2008, 08:46 PM
I have the Akebonos as well and I can't believe the difference over stock. I no longer own wheel cleaner. I did my annual 1000 KM road trip and my wheels were pretty much spotless when I arrived. Normally my wheels woud be black. I got mine from BMA. They aren't on the website but if you e-mail them they do have them.

Bill R.
08-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Autozone is offering a new pad called CMax which is their own branded ceramic pad with hardware and a rubberized backing plate... I've put about 6 sets of them on various cars so far and the results have been very good so far... the price is almost as much as the akebonos, the advantage being that these are a lifetime warranty pad, which is unusual nowdays. The raybestos QS used to be but they canceled that and made it lifetime only against manufacturers defects.

So the autozone is very akebono like with a lifetime warranty though. They are slowing starting to offer them for more and more cars, may be a while for most bmw's though.

Ross
08-22-2008, 09:22 AM
In addition to what Billr says I don't like the kleen wheels because they themselves look bad on many wheels. Also if you remove them to do a thorough cleaning of the wheels they don't fit so well the second or third time around.

Rick L
08-23-2008, 11:08 PM
I recently installed Akebono Euro (front and rear) with slotted + crossed drilled rotors. They do stop better compare to other ceramic pads but still produce visible brake dust. I used to have Raybesto QS and they made almost no dust at all, smooth, and quiet but the bite/stopping power sucked and it was also hard on rotors (leaves a lot of deep grooves). If anyone want full set of Raybesto QS (front and rear) I have pulled from my car, you can have them free. They have over 50% pad left. I put over 400 miles on the Akebono Euro and they're not as smooth or as quiet (it can be the slotted rotors) but I'm satisfied with the bite. Anyone from the forum have slotted rotors on your car?

http://www.iccrents.com/ICC/Driver/BMW525i_2.JPG

http://www.iccrents.com/ICC/Driver/BMW525i_3.JPG

http://www.iccrents.com/ICC/Driver/BMW525i_1.JPG

Kleen wheels, they can affect the cooling of the rotors causing problems. Raybestos still makes the QS pads , they've changed the designations though. And yes akebono is my current favorite pad for general use. No noise, no dust , pretty good stopping and fairly long life. OE pads on toyota's and a number of Japanese imports. Tire rack is a good place to find them if you can't get them locally.

I have them on many customers cars and on my wifes e46 wagon. There was a huge difference in dust when i just had them on the fronts and still had the bmw pads on the rears.