PDA

View Full Version : Hhhhh Mmmmmm.....euro Lights Or Mason Jars?!?!?!?!?!?!

BMW4LIFE
08-16-2008, 08:53 PM
YEA..........

So I bought the euro lights on ebay from an 1995 525i (take offs) and was super excited about them cause i have heard such great things about them....

I installed them (~3 hours, damn screws and bolts!) to find out that they put out less light than my stockies (non euro)

whats up with that? I have even done the 9005 bulb conversion....

did i do something wrong?

oh and is there a link as to align the headlight?

thanks guys!:)

bad_manners_god
08-16-2008, 11:38 PM
YEA..........

So I bought the euro lights on ebay from an 1995 525i (take offs) and was super excited about them cause i have heard such great things about them....

I installed them (~3 hours, damn screws and bolts!) to find out that they put out less light than my stockies (non euro)

I've heard that's what happens with the ellipsoid's.... Do a HID conversion kit....then you'll really notice more light.

M20Turbo
08-17-2008, 12:20 AM

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Headlight+adjustment

bsell
08-17-2008, 04:56 AM
I chucked my Japanese-market angle eyes for euros out of a junk yard and had a vast improvement in light output.

Is it possible the reflectors are garbage in yours?

Or are the bulbs not seated correctly?

Either condition results in poor light output.

Brian

BMW4LIFE
08-17-2008, 02:47 PM
I chucked my Japanese-market angle eyes for euros out of a junk yard and had a vast improvement in light output.

Is it possible the reflectors are garbage in yours?

Or are the bulbs not seated correctly?

Either condition results in poor light output.

Brian

i think i need to align the headlights....that might fix everything....but where is that screw in the front grill to make them go up and down? do i have to remove the grill?

bsell
08-17-2008, 02:57 PM
i think i need to align the headlights....that might fix everything....but where is that screw in the front grill to make them go up and down? do i have to remove the grill?

On the other end of the motorized adjuster.:) Yes, you can pre-adjust the motorized adjustments. It helps to have the switches set to zero (with the car empty) to set the baseline. Then you can only make the lights point down more, never up past the zero setting.

It should be on the lower inside edge of each light, if memory serves.

Brian

632 Regal
08-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Euro lights have the metal thing on the opposite side so it wont glare into oncoming cars... which would be on the wrong side of the street for us here in the USA.

since they were take offs there could be a bunch of ozone built up on the glass and reflector. put a drop of dish soap in them with water and shake them around to clean them out.

YEA..........

attack eagle
08-17-2008, 03:22 PM
you probably need to takethem apart and extremely carefully clean them. the layer of dust they build up on the projector and lens reduces output. The reflector's chrome can be easily wiped/scuffed off so be super careful

Paul in NZ
08-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Euro lights have the metal thing on the opposite side so it wont glare into oncoming cars... which would be on the wrong side of the street for us here in the USA.

since they were take offs there could be a bunch of ozone built up on the glass and reflector. put a drop of dish soap in them with water and shake them around to clean them out.

most euro lights would be LHD too...The uk is RHDand maybe some others too,but vast majority of europe is LHD

BMW4LIFE
08-17-2008, 04:23 PM
okay so it took me like 3 hours to install these bitches...is there another way to go about it to clean them instead of taking the whole unit apart?

and as far as the motorized thing a majig goes....huh???? i dont have anything like that...there are the three on the mount and three more that hold it to the car....

am i missing anything?

is there a link that shows detailed steps with pics? i didnt care much for the e34.nets page....sorry bruno....no offense! =)

632 Regal
08-17-2008, 05:05 PM
you could probably remove the assemblies with the lights attached and do the soap and water rinse trick, did this yesterday with Denny G's light and it worked. I was surprised that the gray went away that easy. After that we heated the lights with a hair drier and let them sit and all the water evaporated. Take the grill off and it will be a lot easier to work with. The grill is easy to remove and speeds the process significantly.

okay so it took me like 3 hours to install these bitches...is there another way to go about it to clean them instead of taking the whole unit apart?

and as far as the motorized thing a majig goes....huh???? i dont have anything like that...there are the three on the mount and three more that hold it to the car....

am i missing anything?

is there a link that shows detailed steps with pics? i didnt care much for the e34.nets page....sorry bruno....no offense! =)

bubba966
08-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Take the grill off and it will be a lot easier to work with. The grill is easy to remove and speeds the process significantly.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Took the grill apart on my M-Sport to change out all of my headlights and it was a bitch getting the grill off.

Took the grill out of a '95 525iT to put the better of my old lights into it and it was a breeze.

GJPinAU
08-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Can I ask how much you paid for these?

I have my original set sitting in a box and was thinking of selling them

Greg