PDA

View Full Version : Steering box adjsutment may be too tight?

Russell
05-29-2004, 02:23 PM
How can you tell if the steering box adjustment is too tight? After tightening down the steering box adjsutment screw (about 1/2 turn clockwise), the steering does not have a tendency to "self center" while turning. At least I think it should. My Ford Explorer does.

By self centering I mean when you turn and soften the grip on the steering wheel, the steering/steering wheel wants/tends to turn back where the front wheels are straight ahead. My BMW does not do this after the steering box adjustment.

Thanks in advance.

Jim540i
05-29-2004, 02:49 PM
It should definately self center.

How can you tell if the steering box adjustment is too tight? After tightening down the steering box adjsutment screw (about 1/2 turn clockwise), the steering does not have a tendency to "self center" while turning. At least I think it should. My Ford Explorer does.

By self centering I mean when you turn and soften the grip on the steering wheel, the steering/steering wheel wants/tends to turn back where the front wheels are straight ahead. My BMW does not do this after the steering box adjustment.

Thanks in advance.

George M
05-29-2004, 03:37 PM
as Jim correctly said, the car should self center upon completing a turn. This term is known as returnabililty and is based upon fixed caster built into the suspension geometry. 1/2 a turn is A LOT. I would definitely back it off. Best to perform the adjustment with the wheels hanging and feel just a hint of extra effort as you pass through center with the engine off and steering column unlocked. Most overtighten their old Bimmer recirculating ball boxes to compensate for worn components or overassisted power steering on these cars...not conducive to long steering box life.
HTH,
George

gale
05-29-2004, 03:52 PM
A good rule of thumb is to lightly tighten it (but not snug) and then back off 1/8 turn. Except for BMW's, that method works for generically for wheel bearings too such as boat trailers, etc.

Russell
05-29-2004, 06:31 PM

Thanks in advance.