PDA

View Full Version : Carsoft 6.5 and EGS error mystery

whiskychaser
08-14-2008, 07:31 AM
My carsoft will read stored sensor and MV faults and isnt showing any.
But it is showing Status: Error and this cannot be erased. The same 'code' comes up when I substitute another ECU so my thinking is its an input error.

Details of the hardware/software are displayed and then it states:

egs3_feh.dxt:

I've done a bit of searching and from what I've seen, this should be followed by a some more information which would pinpoint the fault. There is a file with the same name but this is not readable.

Any 6.5 experts want to chime in on this one?

pgrindstaff
08-14-2008, 09:39 AM
When I had my 530 carsoft gave me the same error I believe. My guess is that carsoft cannot communicate properly with EGS, if at all. I have had far greater success communicating with my car buy using BMW's GT1 software and EDIABAS/INPA with an ADS interface. Sucks to buy the carsoft interface to find out how useless it really is. It is a glorified SI reset/code reader imo.

whiskychaser
08-14-2008, 10:38 AM
When I had my 530 carsoft gave me the same error I believe. My guess is that carsoft cannot communicate properly with EGS, if at all. I have had far greater success communicating with my car buy using BMW's GT1 software and EDIABAS/INPA with an ADS interface. Sucks to buy the carsoft interface to find out how useless it really is. It is a glorified SI reset/code reader imo.

I cant read live data but maybe thats more to do with my car than carsoft and the interface :) I've had it for some time and with this exception its been able to read/write fine

pgrindstaff
08-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Carsoft cannot read live data from OBDI cars. The most I was able to do with carsoft when I used it was manipulate the windows, reset the service lights, read codes, and clear them.

The interface I have now, using EDIABAS/INPA and which unofficially works with GT1 shows you much more information. Live data is available, data such as what position the fan is in, move seats/mirrors, see how many times the alarm has been armed, the list goes on.

Please don't get the impression that I am telling you that you wasted your money on the carsoft interface as it does have some value. I will say however that had I known about the other interface options out there however I would not have spent the money on the carsoft.

To stay on topic though, I think it is a limitation of carsoft's interface and not your car that is causing the error you are seeing regarding EGS.

whiskychaser
08-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Carsoft cannot read live data from OBDI cars. The most I was able to do with carsoft when I used it was manipulate the windows, reset the service lights, read codes, and clear them.

The interface I have now, using EDIABAS/INPA and which unofficially works with GT1 shows you much more information. Live data is available, data such as what position the fan is in, move seats/mirrors, see how many times the alarm has been armed, the list goes on.

Please don't get the impression that I am telling you that you wasted your money on the carsoft interface as it does have some value. I will say however that had I known about the other interface options out there however I would not have spent the money on the carsoft.

To stay on topic though, I think it is a limitation of carsoft's interface and not your car that is causing the error you are seeing regarding EGS.

The interface and software I have now didnt cost a lot more than a trip to BMW to have the codes read. It will read EGS fault codes no problem and I think this error code may be spurious after all. The GT1 software etc by comparison look attractive but very expensive indeed. Perhaps you might PM me details of where the package may be obtained at what I might call an 'affordable' price?

genphreak
08-16-2008, 03:38 AM
Me too please!!! Would love to know more about it. I've got a many uses for this stuff and CS6.5 is a PITA (atm I have too many cars off the road...). Many thanks in advance, Nick

pgrindstaff
08-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Instead of sending information to individuals, I will be including basic information you need to know here. The only information I will not provide publicly is the links to the software, I will pm those to you individually upon request.

A good place to start with BMW diagnostics is this forum (http://ecubb.bmwecu.org/board/index.php). There are far more knowledgeable people there than I, however, I should be able to get you up and running diagnosing any OBDI cars (E30, E31, E32, E34, E36) and OBDII cars (E39, E46, others). I have had no experience with E39's and above as I do not have one, and depending on the year model, requires a completely different interface.

The only possible drawback to the above forum is that you will need to register to view most of the sections.

In order to diagnose your cars, you will need a few things:

An ADS interface (http://bmwecu.org/adskit/). This one works quite well and is probably the best bang for your buck. There are others that you can find on ebay, etc, but the safe and easy bet is to stick with this interface. You will need to be able to solder electrical components to the circuit board, but I am sure few of us will have problems with that.
A laptop with windows XP and an integrated serial port. There are usb serial adapters, however I have not found one that works well, as the serial port MUST have the correct IRQ and memory address. If the serial port does not have the standard IRQ and memory address (IRQ 4, Address 03F8x03FF) you will either loose functionality or you will not be able to communicate with your car at all.
VMWare and at least 5gb for a virtual hard disk. You will need to create a 20gb virtual hard disk but you can make it an expandable disk. With GT1/DIS and TIS, you will need about 5gb.
A modified version of the GT1 base install cd. You will get this from me. GT1/DIS is the system the dealerships use(d) to diagnose cars
EDIABAS/INPA. The second piece of software you will get from me. This is basically BMW's in house tool. It is a little rough around the edges interface wise in comparison with GT1 but is a useful tool, especially if you don't want to boot GT1. This is needed in for GT1 to work in a VM.

*End of crash course part 1*

whiskychaser
08-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Patrick could you just clarify what the function of VMWare is? There seem to be a few different versions. Is it only to save disc space? If you have say, 30gb free space do you really need it? Thanks

pgrindstaff
08-16-2008, 04:53 PM
You need VMWare to run the GT1 software. GT1 is its own operating system that needs to be virtualized. Installing GT1 on a separate partition could possibly work, however I have not heard of any success.

The 20gb virtual hard drive I mentioned will not be completely used. 3-5gb max is all you will need. VMWare has the ability to create a virtual hard drive that can expand to 20gb, but only uses as much hard disk space as needed, which again, would be 3-5gb. This is a hard coded function in GT1, requiring a 20gb hard drive to install the software on. Don't ask me why they did it that way, that is just how it is.

The version of DIS you will get is v44, which is the last version that included the coding functions in DIS. I have not personally coded any options for my car but others here may use that functionality.

genphreak
08-16-2008, 07:58 PM
This is EXACTLY what we need. Proper diagnostics on any platform (so long as it has a DB9). Just need the ADS interface... sweet. I knew somewhere, someone had to have unravelled the clouded interface into our cars....go bmwecu.org! Excellent news, freaking excellent- BIG KUDOS to you pgrindstaff!!!

Heh; from the FAQ:

Q. What is BMW

A. BMW is the best ****in' car to roll on the Earth.

... too right it is and now we can talk to them...

pgrindstaff
08-16-2008, 08:41 PM
It is really cool to be able to communicate with our cars and see what is going on. I cannot take credit for any of this though, I just stumbled upon bmwecu and started reading ;). We wouldn't get very far as a community if we didn't share our knowledge, and that is all I am trying to do.

-Patrick