PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Alarm playing up...

bobchiba
08-13-2008, 04:09 AM
hey, wondering if anyon ehas had simlar problems. Recently moved house and since yesterday my alarm has been goin off randomly, usually for the whole 30 seconds sometimes a few seconds. There is an aftermarket cobra alarm fitted and I turned this off when I got the car and as far as I can tell its not this alarm thats sounding its the bmw alarm (horn) like when you use the code function on the obc.

At first I thought it was the code function playing up as I sometimes use this, but when I've just gone out to check on it after it went off again, the code light wasn't on so I don't think I did. Is there any other circumstances which might sound the factory alarm system, I live on quite a busy road now with lots of buses whizzing passed, something like that maybe???

Has anyone had similar problems, and also, I've disconected the battery, I presume this will solve the problem temorarily, is there any problems with leaving the battery disconnected like this for long periods?? (one terminal taken off)

thanks...

E34-520iSE
08-13-2008, 05:10 AM
Maybe the alarm's sensitivity is turned up to 'MAX'. Turn it down a bit and see if that stops the false alarms.

HTH,

Shaun M

bobchiba
08-13-2008, 05:23 AM
how do i go about doing that?

E34-520iSE
08-13-2008, 07:57 AM
So you have the cobra system and the factory BMW install yes? Have you tried unplugging the BMW unit and using the Cobra alarm instead? It's probably a more superior unit anyway.....

HTH,

Shaun M

bobchiba
08-13-2008, 08:19 AM
how would i remove the bmw alarm, its not got remote locking, its an 88' 530i (uk) and i think its got the very basic bmw alarm of the time?

...thanks

E34-520iSE
08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Look under the rear seat base - the factory alarm is usually there, lying loose on a long loom. Unplug it and see what happens. I unplugged one completely from a 1992 car and there was no problems at all, but you might not be so lucky!

HTH,

Shaun M

bubba966
08-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Might want to read this http://bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=38382

And check to see if that's your problem. And maybe if it is you'll have caught it before it decides to catch fire like it did to that E31.