PDA

View Full Version : OT: Arent your British police wonderful?

whiskychaser
08-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Not usually, no. I make a rare exception in this case:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1061900_polices_fridgemagnet_calling_card?rss=yes

e34.535i.sport
08-11-2008, 02:55 PM
That's disgusting... I hate pigs, they think they're above the law... That sounds terrible doesn't it, but my taxes pay their wages and any time I've needed them they haven't helped in any sense of the word. Probably too busy setting up a speed camera somewhere (or piggy bank as I like to call them).

That's just my opinion of course based on personal experience, I hope I don't offend anyone on here...

nizmainiac
08-11-2008, 03:00 PM
that's Disgusting... I Hate Pigs, They Think They're Above The Law... That Sounds Terrible Doesn't It, But My Taxes Pay Their Wages And Any Time I've Needed Them They Haven't Helped In Any Sense Of The Word. Probably Too Busy Setting Up A Speed Camera Somewhere (or Piggy Bank As I Like To Call Them).

That's Just My Opinion Of Course Based On Personal Experience, I Hope I Don't Offend Anyone On Here...

+1

repenttokyo
08-11-2008, 03:16 PM
at least they didn't arrest the mayor of your town and shoot his dogs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/08/08/2008-08-08_maryland_mayors_dogs_shot_in_swat_team_m.html

attack eagle
08-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Many police have forgotten (or never learned) that they are PUBLIC SERVANTS.
There are some wonderful officers out there, over worked and underpaid, but there are a lot that deserve to be run out of town on a rail.

Read any police forum (especially traffic cops) and you learn that "civilian" is pronounced with a sneer. It is this elitist attitude, and lack of any tangible service (unless the crime involves only a fine to line the cities coffers), and nearly complete ignorance of legal code that has alienated the american public. This attitude has even invaded our legal system, making a crime against an off duty peace officer ( a civilian ) a crime against a peace officer (in the performance of his duty). Then you get people being arrested and shackled because their poodle pissed on a cop's lawn...

The only good thing about the complete dereliction of duty in most cities, is that they are to busy chasing graffiti and red light camera violators to bother you.
OF course thy are also too busy eating donuts to come (for 6 hours) when your out of town neighbor's house is broken into and being used for a teen party (literally, ~4 units eating donuts everytime I checked during that 6 hours). "Not enough man hours" to bother driving thru your neighborhood once in 2 months when an arsonist is setting cars afire in peoples' carports at the rate of 1 a week.

Before someone says "respect is due because they put their lives on the line" remember that police officer is actually a relatively safe job. it isn't even one of the top 10 most dangerous jobs.

Deckhand on a fishing vessel is most dangerous
Pilot and flight engineer is next
Loggers, Iron worker, and refuse collectors, farm and ranch workers,
electrical power line workers, truckers and traveling salemen, roofers, etc are ALL more dangerous jobs than being a cop.

well, unless you live in Juarez and are not on the take.

Booster
08-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Many police have forgotten (or never learned) that they are PUBLIC SERVANTS.
There are some wonderful officers out there, over worked and underpaid, but there are a lot that deserve to be run out of town on a rail.

Read any police forum (especially traffic cops) and you learn that "civilian" is pronounced with a sneer. It is this elitist attitude, and lack of any tangible service (unless the crime involves only a fine to line the cities coffers), and nearly complete ignorance of legal code that has alienated the american public.

Before someone says "respect is due because they put their lives on the line" remember that police officer is actually a relatively safe job. it isn't even one of the top 10 most dangerous jobs.
electrical power line workers, truckers and traveling salemen, etc are ALL more dangerous jobs than being a cop.

well, unless you live in Juarez and are not on the take.

Yes,yes....but can you think of anyone elses job that see's more angry dispositioned ,lying,cynical, low life people in a single day than cops ??:(

Destined to be burned out emotionally at some point one would think ?
Cheers,Vinny

e34.535i.sport
08-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes,yes....but can you think of anyone elses job that see's more angry dispositioned ,lying,cynical, low life people in a single day than cops ??:(

Cheers,Vinny

Bingo Caller...

repenttokyo
08-11-2008, 05:21 PM

electrical power line workers, truckers and traveling salemen, roofers, etc are ALL more dangerous jobs than being a cop.

this is not true, i am a professional writer who does a fair amount of work safety writing, and there are many risks involved in police work that make it quite dangerous. perhaps not in england but certainly in north america.

some of the professions you mentioned are FAR less dangerous than police work.

attack eagle
08-11-2008, 05:24 PM

Cheers,Vinny
Cop psychiatrist?
Mayor?
Anyone who works in the food service industry?
Anyone who works in a service industry?

Bus Driver?
Tow truck driver?
Pizza delivery driver?
mall security guard?

If they are burned out or mentally affected by it, they should not be cops in the first place, and sure should not continue in it, they should be section 8'd.

attack eagle
08-11-2008, 05:26 PM
this is not true, i am a professional writer who does a fair amount of work safety writing, and there are many risks involved in police work that make it quite dangerous. perhaps not in england but certainly in north america.

some of the professions you mentioned are FAR less dangerous than police work.

no, they aren't. read forbes or actually look at the numbers.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/08/13/dangerous-jobs-fishing-lead-careers-cx_tvr_0813danger.html

Paul in NZ
08-11-2008, 06:04 PM
i think you guys are harsh...they are only human and you think what they have to do every day,dealing with absolutely cynical people/tragic events/etc.I think anyone would be burned out almost immediately.
It nice to say they shouldnt be cops if they cant handle it...who would you get to do the job instead?

repenttokyo
08-11-2008, 06:36 PM
no, they aren't. read forbes or actually look at the numbers.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/08/13/dangerous-jobs-fishing-lead-careers-cx_tvr_0813danger.html

The article you linked to only discusses fatalities, which are a tiny tiny subset of workplace injury. I have written 100 articles in the past 12 weeks relating to workplace injury prevention using OSHA, NIOSH and the Canadian equivalent statistics and I can assure you this article is extremely superficial.

repenttokyo
08-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Cop psychiatrist?

If they are burned out or mentally affected by it, they should not be cops in the first place, and sure should not continue in it, they should be section 8'd.

so cops should be replaced by robots who can;t be mentally affected by anything? we tried that - and ED 209 was a terrible disaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0kWgcIlWn0

Booster
08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Cop psychiatrist?
Mayor?
Anyone who works in the food service industry?
Anyone who works in a service industry?

Bus Driver?
Tow truck driver?
Pizza delivery driver?
mall security guard?

For some folks recognizing the BO condition isn't easy or acknowleded. BTW...I know several folks in your above mentioned jobs and NONE of them are exposed to a tenth of the crap cops are daily let alone annually.
I've even dated a female officer....so I do have some insight there too.
But I guess the rest of us have it all figured out so we should qualify as judges for them right ??;)

Morgenster
08-12-2008, 03:59 AM
Although I think the article in the OP illustrates bad manners at worst there are most certainly abuses in the profession. As in any other profession, BTW. As for speedcameras and the like. A lot of it is decided on an entirely different level than the cop doing the actual work themselves.
Like where I work: the industrial zoning now only has two exits because of roadworks and there's plenty of big stores here. Instead of regulating trafic at the exit intersections Cops are positioned at likely 'escape points' to fine anyone trying to get in or out through some company's parking lot instead of the road. It's pretty disgusting, but I don't think the cops doing that work went ahead and decided it'd be more fun to do that instead of helping trafic. It's decided much higher up by city officials who lack the necessary feeling and knowledge to see that this is ruining the image of their own industrial zoning and think of it as easy money. I bet it's like that in a lot of places.

whiskychaser
08-12-2008, 04:21 AM
Not usually, no. I make a rare exception in this case:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1061900_polices_fridgemagnet_calling_card?rss=yes

Time to confess: I posted this because I thought it was funny:D Absurd in a pythonesque sort of way. If you check out the comments at the foot of the article, you will see I'm not alone:)

mikell
08-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Time to confess: I posted this because I thought it was funny:D Absurd in a pythonesque sort of way. If you check out the comments at the foot of the article, you will see I'm not alone:)

Agreed - I think the fridge message shows a sense of humor - sort of twisted, but that's the best kind. Yes, they owe the poor guy an apology and probaly a new back door.

The offended citizen handled it pretty well - In the US, the guy would have filed a lawsuit for civil rights violation.

BennyM
08-12-2008, 02:22 PM
People need to get over the fridge magnets. It was funny and if I were the guy they were looking for reading that, I'd be pretty freaked out.

The police do however owe them an apology and a new door. I don't understand why that decision would require any investigation.

Unfortunately this reminds me of a far less funny story:
http://www.startribune.com/local/26083024.html?location_refer=Homepage:highlightMod ules:1

Booster
08-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Replying to the lighter side of the 2 videos posted....If a new door was being hung for the chap and THEN he noticed the magnets....it would have all been cool...on both sides I'm sure.

To the Asian who's house was wrongly raided......he seemed to be a damn good shot due to the task force reports of helment and body armour damage . Just damn lucky the cops weren't as good too ! Whew !