PDA

View Full Version : Central locking actuator - how to test? !

mmaddock
05-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Amongst the many problems I have been meaning to sort out, I got round to looking at the rear window (Touring) opening today.

Rear window (you know how they open independently to the tail-gate on Touring) has not been working.

Checked the micro-switch (shorted it out) and still no actuator activity.

I took the lock apart and the actuator [67 11 1 392 020] off.

I plugged the actuator into the wiring for where the tail-gate lock actuator is (looks the same, but diff p/n) and I get some sort of response out of it - like it is trying to operate, but in the wrong direction. So looking like the actuator might be working, but not getting a signal.

What do I check for on the actuator wiring to see if the actuator is getting a signal? If it's not the micro-switch, what else could be wrong if I'm getting no signal?

Is there any way I can properly test the actuator independently from the vehicle (without destroying it!)?

Thanks

Matt.

mmaddock
05-29-2004, 10:00 AM
OK, been looking at the wiring diagrams.

Problem could be the relay between micro switch and actuator, but no idea where this relay is located - anyone got any ideas?

Thanks again

Matt.

mmaddock
05-30-2004, 01:00 PM
If anyone else has problems with the Touring rear window glass opening, I found two problems with mine (which is now working!)

1 - The 12v supply (green/white) to the micro switch was missing! I directly connected the 12v supply from the other micro switch (for the tail-gate) to fixed that problem.

2 - The micro switch [61.31.8.355.127] was not working properly - was making a connection, but not a very good one, and hence it was not good enough for the 12v circuit to be made down to the relay.

Points to note -

Getting the trim panel off the tail-gate is a nightmare if you cannot open the glass. But by removing all the screws and 'push in' pin fixings the panel is then only held by one screw near the wiper. By pulling on the panel gently in various directions it is possible to get it off without breaking anything!

The connections for the glass and tail-gate actuators are the same, so they can be plugged into each others connections to determine if the actuator is working. I think they work in opposite directions, but you will at least be able to hear them doing something!

The relays for these functions are in the right hand side behind the trim panel covering the wheel arch (the bit in front of the pop down panel) - a good point to do electrical connection tests from.