PDA

View Full Version : throwout bearing replacement?

rockitansky6831
08-09-2008, 10:02 AM
I have a '93 525i, 87k miles, that I think my throwout bearing has gone bad, it makes a roaring sound when I depress the clutch.

I am thinking of buying the Sachs clutch kit, my question is has anybody done this on an e34? and should I replace anything else while Im there? any tips or tricks to performing this repair? thx all Brian. :p

yaofeng
08-09-2008, 10:09 AM
If you buy the kit, it comes with the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, TO bearing and the dummy shaft for alignment. The only other thing you need to get is the nylon pivot for the fork. it is a good time to also replace the gear box front seal and the engine rear main seal.

Jon K
08-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah man the throw out bearing rids on the input shaft tube on the transmission. Usually throw out bearing noise happens when you're in neutral without the clutch depressed. Careful you don't have a failing pressure plate or clutch disc. Either way, to get to it, the transmission must come out.

Ferret
08-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Yeah man the throw out bearing rids on the input shaft tube on the transmission. Usually throw out bearing noise happens when you're in neutral without the clutch depressed. Careful you don't have a failing pressure plate or clutch disc. Either way, to get to it, the transmission must come out.

Yup, the throwout/clutch release bearing:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/clutch/IMG_7684Medium.jpg

Is inside the bellhousing:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/clutch/IMG_7682Medium.jpg

Getting the gearbox out with just home tools is perfectly possible - I managed it, but you need a friend to help.

The sachs clutch kit comes with: Clutch disk, Clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing.

Dave M
08-10-2008, 11:28 AM
For some reason I'm not entirely sure the sachs ket comes with a pilot bearing. Might want to double check on that. And yes, pretty much a nuts and bolts job, just use from creativity when getting at the upper bell housing torx bolts.

Good luck with it.

Dave

64 Pony
08-19-2008, 10:55 PM
I have a 93 525i, 200K. Getting the same noise when the clutch is depressed; shfts fine, no other problems.

What is the advantage of a Sachs kit over the original? Cost? Repair bill?

Thanks,

Duke

Ferret
08-20-2008, 03:19 AM
I have a 93 525i, 200K. Getting the same noise when the clutch is depressed; shfts fine, no other problems.

What is the advantage of a Sachs kit over the original? Cost? Repair bill?

Thanks,

Duke

The Sachs/Luk/BMW clutch kit are all the same thing, no difference other than the price.