PDA

View Full Version : Borbet H require diferent lug bolts?

Gene in NC
08-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Picked up a nice set of used Borbet H. Searched carefully and understand centering rings needed.

But Tire Rack provides, on new wheels, both centering rings and set of lug bolts. Why the lug bolts. Will oem lug bolts do the job?

Jon K
08-09-2008, 06:15 PM
If the wheel is 5x120mm w/ taper seat lug holes the OEM bolts will do the trick just fine. Also check that you have enough thread engagement into the hub. I doubt you need to run spacers. If you need spacers, then thats why they're spec'ing bolts. But otherwise no, stock bolts are enough.

Gene in NC
08-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Thanks, Jon K.

PO bot e28 with Borbets installed but w/o centering rings. Must have been installed and torqued w/o weight of car on the wheels. Apparently this works if very careful and maybe small difference in bore (72.6 vs 74.1). I'm going with centering rings.

Jon K
08-11-2008, 08:35 AM
eh - they'll never be perfect, or even close, without centering rings. Once you get those you'll be sailing.

Tiger
08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Every manufacturer has different design on wheels... depending on the wheel design. Some wheels use ball lugbolts and some use cone lugbolts. The depth is also different and that is why it comes with its own lugbolts as it may be longer than BMW lugbolts...

So, you must use what came with the wheels unless it is exactly identical.

When you stick the bolt through the wheel, you should see about 3/4" of threads sticking out. I bought a set of used wheels and the guy gave me the lugbolts he used... it had only 3/8" or less than 1/2" threads... meaning too short! It would have sheared off on impact... so it is a HUGE safety item.

Jon K
08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Its important to have good thread engagement but do keep in mind the only roll lugs/studs play in wheel configuration is holding the wheel against the hub. They do not take hits in potholes or bumps/etc. They are to hold the wheel against the hub surface which is why its important to have a hub-centric wheel. Your hub keeps the wheel on the car up down/forward/back/etc, the lugs keep the wheel on in/out.

But yeah, having 1/2 - 3/4" thread engagement is more than enough. If you look at VAC Motorsport racing studs, they onyl thred in about 3/8 - 1/2" into the hub! And are used on SCCA race cars!