PDA

View Full Version : 540 has a broken leg :'(

Ferret
08-07-2008, 04:50 PM
So about a month ago while towing a mates heap of junk 520i home to repair a busted water pump, just as I'm pulling onto the estate I get a really loud *snap* noise from the back axel as he panic slams the brakes on...

For the last month, the car has felt really unstable at speed around big bends etc and I couldnt for the life of me figure out why. Untill early this week after I get a new housemate who likes to sit in the passenger side rear seat while we go grocery shopping.

As soon as the seat started to get used there was a loud rattle from the back parcel shelf, which got progressively worse.

Eventually we figured the back parcel shelf was moving around in exact synch with the rear suspension.

Pulled the rear seat and the fun began:
Uh-oh:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car/IMG_8216.jpg

Pulling the rear parcel shelf yielded this horror:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car/DSC00099.jpg

So no wonder it seemed dangerous on the motorway - the back end of the car only had one shock absorber working! Luckily new rear mounts are only £12 each!

whiskychaser
08-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Thought you were going to say you had a lot of welding to do. Could have been nasty if someone was sitting there though :D

Barney Paull-Edwards
08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Dont know how you do it Andy!! Never buy a new car, we`de lose all the fun! Bring it down at week-end and use the ramp..

Tiger
08-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Holy! Doesn't it knocks back there?

Ferret
08-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Holy! Doesn't it knocks back there?

Originally it was just pushing up against the seat frame so was quiet, but with the seat suddenly being used and flexing... the shock head has popped out over the edge of the seat and rattled the parcel shelf!

Oh well, suppose it gives me a good excuse to repaint the rear shelf :)

Ferret
08-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Dont know how you do it Andy!! Never buy a new car, we`de lose all the fun! Bring it down at week-end and use the ramp..

Man, I'd love to take you up on that one but I'm finishing moving house this weekend (not the one I expected to move into either, but that's a long story.)

Need to get it done sharpish so will probably get it done one evening this week, cheers for the ramp offer though, it's much appreciated!

Ross
08-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Why does EVERY single rubber bushing on a BMW go to **** like this?

e34.535i.sport
08-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Wow - and i thought mine were bad! On the bright side the shock's ok! :D

e34.535i.sport
08-08-2008, 07:41 PM
P.s Can I ask what do you use to paint the parcel shelf???

bubba966
08-09-2008, 01:32 PM
P.s Can I ask what do you use to paint the parcel shelf???

I just saw a parcel shelf painted with flat black Krylon spray paint last week. Looked good, I wouldn't have thought it was painted by looking at it.

e34.535i.sport
08-09-2008, 01:47 PM
I just saw a parcel shelf painted with flat black Krylon spray paint last week. Looked good, I wouldn't have thought it was painted by looking at it.

Krylon ay... I'll be lookin into that thanks! I've got a completely black interior now and the only thing that's grey is theparcel shelf - now I know you can spray it successfully I'm on a mission!

bubba966
08-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Krylon ay... I'll be lookin into that thanks! I've got a completely black interior now and the only thing that's grey is theparcel shelf - now I know you can spray it successfully I'm on a mission!

Enjoy rattle canning it!

I'd go with very light coats. You don't want to put it on too heavy and seal up the weave of the fabric. If you do it in light enough coats it'll look just like it was dyed black.

Jon K
08-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah dude - that's what I fear in my car. I am going to have to look into some crazy more reinforced jobbers. I know the new ones have better design though!