PDA

View Full Version : help!!temp. gauge

bmwrp8
08-01-2008, 12:15 PM
my temp gauge just died, at first the problem comes and goes esp. when i hit pot holes but now it just does not work.. i bought a new temp.sensor it worked for about an hour then temp guage just went 0. I was thinking about capacitors but only the temp does not work..i tried the cluster self check the temp guage moves...any idea guys?thanks

whiskychaser
08-01-2008, 01:33 PM
my temp gauge just died, at first the problem comes and goes esp. when i hit pot holes but now it just does not work.. i bought a new temp.sensor it worked for about an hour then temp guage just went 0. I was thinking about capacitors but only the temp does not work..i tried the cluster self check the temp guage moves...any idea guys?thanks

I havent looked at a wiring diagram but normally temp sensors are just a variable resistor that's temp sensitive and sits between the circuit end and ground. You just get one wire going to it. So if you ground the wire, you should get full deflection on the guage. If you dont I'd say the guage is stuffed. But unless they are shorted guages are pretty damn reliable so I'd be looking for a wiring fault somewhere before ripping it out.

Rus
08-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Check the connection to the sensor. My temperature gauge acted strange when the connector got oxidized. Cleaned up and applied dielectric grease and the issue went away. Worth a look and costs nearly nothing to fix if its the problem. :)

bmwrp8
08-02-2008, 03:25 AM
ill try to clean the connector with contact cleaner thanks for the input guys ill get back with you guys after.:D

bmwrp8
08-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Check the connection to the sensor. My temperature gauge acted strange when the connector got oxidized. Cleaned up and applied dielectric grease and the issue went away. Worth a look and costs nearly nothing to fix if its the problem. :)

i cleaned the connection with contact cleaner, so far it holding up ok:D thanks for advice guys

Rus
08-06-2008, 03:03 PM
i cleaned the connection with contact cleaner, so far it holding up ok:D thanks for advice guys

You're the second person I've come across that has had this type of temperature gauge problem and fixed it with a simple cleaning. I'm starting to think this is a common issue :-p Glad its working again. Cheers!

Paul in NZ
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
You're the second person I've come across that has had this type of temperature gauge problem and fixed it with a simple cleaning. I'm starting to think this is a common issue :-p Glad its working again. Cheers!

my temp gauge was flakey a few years ago,mine was fixed merely by unplugging and replugging in again....I guess that does enough to clean the connectors to the sensors!