PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Bracket Bolt Frozen

Jehu
07-31-2008, 11:50 PM
In as much as it is possible to snap anything with enough force am I likely to snap these bolts if they aren't budging? Had the car on a lift yesterday to do Tie Rods and Upper Control Arms . Couldn't get the Sway Bar Bracket Bolts off to remove the CA's so just did the Tie Rods. Do these snap often ?

bad_manners_god
08-01-2008, 12:01 AM
In as much as it is possible to snap anything with enough force am I likely to snap these bolts if they aren't budging? Had the car on a lift yesterday to do Tie Rods and Upper Control Arms . Couldn't get the Sway Bar Bracket Bolts off to remove the CA's so just did the Tie Rods. Do these snap often ?

Heat the area around the bolt cherry red, it'll expand enough to break the rust seal. While still cherry red, loosen the bolts.

Ross
08-01-2008, 07:09 AM
The links? Pop the link off of the joint and grab the ball with a vise grip or pipe wrench.
Oh, the BRACKET. Heat or break 'em and drill and tap.
I thought you weren't going to take our advice anymore.

Tiger
08-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Hard to believe they can be frozen... On the ball side, you can insert an open wrench to hold it still and then you must use offset box wrench to get it out... no other easy way.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't know why you would need to drop the sway bar to do this job.

Just remove the three 19mm bolts on the bottom of the steering knuckle and pull the arms out and swap new ones in.

Jehu
08-01-2008, 11:19 PM
I don't know why you would need to drop the sway bar to do this job.

Just remove the three 19mm bolts on the bottom of the steering knuckle and pull the arms out and swap new ones in.

if I remember correctly even Bruno's site shows you dropping the Sway bar bracket. Not removing the whole Bar to get at the bushing bolt.