PDA

View Full Version : Steering Help!!!

specialguess
07-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Hello everyone, I have a question and need some advice before I bring my 1989 525 to the mechanic.

Here it is.... my car has been sitting for sometime I have been so busy with work that I have not driven it all summer and when I drive it in and out of the garage the steering is verry stiff and hesitaes to move left and right it will turn with some added work.....

Do I need a steering box or do I need a steering rack?

any advice would be helpful

Thanks Maurice

Ross
07-29-2008, 08:38 AM
your car uses a steering box, not a rack.
Check the fluid first.

e34.535i.sport
07-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone, I have a question and need some advice before I bring my 1989 525 to the mechanic.

Here it is.... my car has been sitting for sometime I have been so busy with work that I have not driven it all summer and when I drive it in and out of the garage the steering is verry stiff and hesitaes to move left and right it will turn with some added work.....

Thanks Maurice

How's the power steering pump doing? Mine groans like hell when I'm parking, I think I need to replace it soon as the funds allow!

Sixdown
07-29-2008, 03:35 PM
How's the power steering pump doing? Mine groans like hell when I'm parking, I think I need to replace it soon as the funds allow!

Hmm, I heard that the 535i power steering pump was indestructible...maybe it can be repaired without replacement.

e34.535i.sport
07-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Hmm, I heard that the 535i power steering pump was indestructible...maybe it can be repaired without replacement.

My DIY (destroy it yourself) skills are unprecedented... Maybe a fluid change will do the trick?

BennyM
07-29-2008, 06:33 PM

Thanks Maurice

It definitely sounds like you have no power steering. The pump is probably bad. Could have leaked all the fluid out while it sat. You do have both serp belts still, right? It's highly unlikely that the steering box went bad while sitting still...though I'm not sure what would happen if the seal broke on a steering box.

BennyM

specialguess
07-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks for all your advice guys I am going to have to check in to it further

shogun
07-30-2008, 01:14 AM
I have repaired my power steering pump with a set from USA, works well again, no noise, no leaks, and all that for 20$, the set consists of the seal, the O-rings and 2 profile rings, no metal parts.
Sold by the seller "for offroad use only".
Fits many ZF pumps.
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/535277/

I also repaired my steering box with a parts set from BMW, they still had some sets, no more available in the future. Cost me about $50 from Germany from my dealer there.