PDA

View Full Version : Front End Rebuild questions

Al Gray
07-27-2008, 06:35 PM
My son, Sean, is the driver on the 1992 525i. It now has 205,000 miles on it and is experiencing front end shimmy at 40 - 50 miles per hour. From the website tech info this symptom is caused by worn thrust arms. I am sure these are original equipment. However, we plan to keep the car and while I am at it I think I will do the thrust arms, control arms, all the steering links, and the sway bar links. Price per BMA for all Lemforder parts is $771 shipped to my door.

I have always wanted to do a front end job (yeah, at age 61 it's on my "bucket list") and I have adequate tools, floor jacks, jack stands, etc. however I do not own a pickle fork and I don't have a tie rod puller.

Could someone recommend to be a decent pickle fork and a tie rod puller for this job please.

Al Gray

Ross
07-27-2008, 06:44 PM
The lower ball joints are pretty tight to brake backing plate so don't get too large a pickle fork. Perhaps bring your parts with to the tool store and buy one just large enough to easily go around the stud. Mine is a cheapie that has served me well for decades.
No need for a "puller" if you are replacing all the parts a torn grease boot from the PF doesn't matter. If you don't have a BFH, get one, 3#er works for me.

632 Regal
07-27-2008, 08:37 PM
I meeded to swing a #20 hammer, looking at my fender wondering how good my golf swing would remain.

I got a balljoint seperator tool that worked on one and sheared the bolts off on the other. If you just unbolt the arms from the frame and lower the strut it would be much easier and safer to take it all in to a shop and have them remove the items. Installation is much much easier.

The lower ball joints are pretty tight to brake backing plate so don't get too large a pickle fork. Perhaps bring your parts with to the tool store and buy one just large enough to easily go around the stud. Mine is a cheapie that has served me well for decades.
No need for a "puller" if you are replacing all the parts a torn grease boot from the PF doesn't matter. If you don't have a BFH, get one, 3#er works for me.

bubba966
07-27-2008, 09:51 PM
If you don't have a BFH, get one, 3#er works for me.

Your BFH is only 3#?

Sissy...:D