PDA

View Full Version : Are Idiot Lights for Idiots?

Al Gray
07-21-2008, 11:01 PM
I have a 2001 BMW 740il with 101,000 miles that has been well cared for. I just changes the back breaks to the Ackibono ceramic pads. Even after the change the dashboard still show "Check Brake Pads" and Brakes. Tonight I took a ride with the A/C on, lights and fog lights and the CD player. As I pulled in the driveway the CD playing sounded funny almost tinny so I changed it to another CD with the same results. I turned off the ignition and tried to restart the car and all I got was clicking. I got my big car charger out and charged the battery for 40 minutes and restarted the car with no problem. However, now I have noticed there is no longer the "Check Brake Pads" sign but a little red icon of a battery.

There is one of two things that is causing the problem. Either my battery is on the way out or I need a new alternator. Is there any definitive way for me to tell which one I need? Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Al Gray

Monastie
07-22-2008, 12:03 AM
I'd say definitly alternator

632 Regal
07-22-2008, 12:50 AM

the other guy copied my post!

:p :D :p

Al Gray
07-22-2008, 06:00 AM

the other guy copied my post!

:p :D :p

I think it is the alternator also. How is it to do the alternator job and how accessible is it? I have a lot of tools and have done many jobs before. I do not have a Bently manual for this car. Any help would be appreciated.

Al Gray

Ross
07-22-2008, 07:44 AM
More often than not a failed alternator only needs it's regulator and brush assembly replaced. This is WAY less costly than replacing the whole alternator.

whiskychaser
07-22-2008, 11:45 AM
May I suggest when you locate the alternator you check to see that the belt which drives it isnt slack or has broken? That would of course give you the same symptoms. And yes I know, everybody loves a smart arse :D

Paul in NZ
07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
get the alternator output checked before you start changing things

Al Gray
07-22-2008, 08:49 PM
get the alternator output checked before you start changing things

Without running it to a mechanic or worse taking it to the BMW Stealer is their some gauge or way to check alternator output?

mclark1983
07-22-2008, 09:09 PM
You can use a multi-meter (recommend a digital read out) and go by what the Bentley say's.