PDA

View Full Version : 535 vs. R1200 GS

Mitch90535im
07-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Well, I drove the e34 for the first time this afternoon since picking up the GS June 26th. This was right after being on the bike all afternoon touring around the N GA mountains. By compairson the e34 is smooth as silk, quiet as a mouse, and S-L-O-W... as a snail. Preception is a funny thing. Love the GS (aka Scarlett) .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/mb90535im/GS/C0601552-1.jpg

Paul in NZ
07-21-2008, 03:03 AM
nice pic!Yes after a time away from bikes my very first impressions were
1)Very hard to make the initial lean/turn
2)Wind blast very strong
3)Wind blast very noisy4
4) The standing start and overtaking accelleration is mindblowing

632 Regal
07-22-2008, 12:45 AM
[quote=Paul in NZ;306257]nice pic!Yes after a time away from bikes my very first impressions were

Anticipate the turn and turn handle bars hard opposite of direction wanted, hit that turn good every time. Cutting the handles opposite gets the lean on, there is no other way at speed, much opposite of slower driving.

Ever see someone on a bike on highway clearing straight on a curve? haha afraid of turning opposite of direction desired.

Mitch90535im
07-22-2008, 07:39 AM
I believe that's called counter steering and yes, it's important to overcome the gyro effect and get the bike to lean.

Paul in NZ
07-22-2008, 11:03 PM
yes know all about riding motorcycles,have had many and was riding intructors for both beginners and experienced alike.But like a lot of people the motorbikes were sidelined, used to hire one now and again.Was on one of those occasions that i was astonished at the effort involved(compared to steering a car),but soon got used to it again!

philbyil
07-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Hard is BAD:(!!

Counter-steering only requires a nudge once the bike is rolling and a well set up bike will roll into the turn and hold the line with barely any input:).

[quote=Paul in NZ;306257]nice pic!Yes after a time away from bikes my very first impressions were

Anticipate the turn and turn handle bars hard opposite of direction wanted, hit that turn good every time. Cutting the handles opposite gets the lean on, there is no other way at speed, much opposite of slower driving.

Ever see someone on a bike on highway clearing straight on a curve? haha afraid of turning opposite of direction desired.

Paul in NZ
07-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Hard is BAD:(!!
Counter-steering only requires a nudge once the bike is rolling and a well set up bike will roll into the turn and hold the line with barely any input:).

mostly..but when you are riding a big sports bike with relatively narrow bars into a s bend the "nudge" has to be significant...quite often invokes a wheely if the nudge/throttle/flip is timed just right

Qube
07-27-2008, 01:02 AM
... and that's why the bike has been traded in for a cruiser :)