PDA

View Full Version : Adjusted the valves, now my blinkers are louder!

Robin-535im
05-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Well, it's unlikely, right? But that's what it seemed like... Which brings me to my point: that humans are lousy dyno's.

What would you all say to pooling the dyno runs we've all done so we can get some hard data on the actual gains of all these wonderful HP boosting components we install?

I want to know if the stock air box is better or worse than the K&N+tube. I want to know exactly how much HP a chip gives, or a cam gives, or 19# injectors, or 35FPR, or porting/polishing, ...

My K&N+tube intake definitely had a mean roar, but sound != horsepower.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a repository (maybe Bruno if he can stay with the e34 crowd a bit longer :) ) of all the E34 dyno runs we can find, along with a list of the mods done for that car? Sure, it's not a perfect comparison, but still would be useful for those of us who don't have gobs of $$ to spend on stuff that just makes more noise!

Any interest? Send me those dyno runs and I'll get with Bruno to post them on his site. Data! Need Test Data! Hector - hand me that K-type, STAT!

- Robin

Martin in Bellevue
05-28-2004, 12:41 PM
This is with the JimC chip, Bruno's MAF setup, 3.64 lsd, at about 55deg F on a rainy hippieland late morning. Everything else is pretty stock.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Martin5er/dyno535%20.jpg

George M
05-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Martin...looking at the dyno sheet, bet my bone stock automatic E-32 will run with a car length of your car in the 1/4 with all you have done to it....hehe.
George

Martin in Bellevue
05-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I'd concur with that likely outcome.

Unregistered
05-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I'd concur with that likely outcome.
dyno numbers look good. good hp gains . and great torque.

George M
05-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Hey Martin...with 200 hp in almost a 2 ton car...your car must scare almost 1/3 of all the cars on the road at the stop light grand prix...serious nos.
I got to get a C5.
George

Martin in Bellevue
05-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Robin asked for dyno sheets on 535's.

If my ego was attached to the stoplight abilities of my car, I wouldn't have let the 540 go, not that it was the quickest thing out there.

George M
05-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Hostility?...Martinator oh please. I'm ya ribbin' man. What...are you just a bit sensitive about the power of your car?....lol. You and Jeff take shots at one another all the time. I hope your ego isn't tied to the stoplight ability of your car or you will be one unhappy cowboy.
What happened to the Martin who could take it as well as dish it out?
All the guys out there hotrodding their E-34's...with M-30 which comes from the factory at 1 horsepower per cubic inch on 2 valves/per cylinder, 9:1 compression and regular gas....if you want to go fast, either put a turbo on your car or buy an M5 with over a hundred more horsepower. If you think you can dyno tune your NA M-30 at home and extract much more than the factory with the same no. of valves and compression, you are mistaken...especially without spending at least $3k which isn't worth it....How's that?
George