PDA

View Full Version : They think I'm nuts...

Jehu
07-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Took the ride in to another BMW Indy today to get an estimate for the Timing Chain Cover Gasket leak and the word "Insane" came up in the course of the conversation. I used it first saying I get the feeling you think I'm Insane for thinking of putting $3k into this car and and said ; "yah everyone will think so.." still this is my parking space after a year with this leak he himself described as "bad..." and so insane or not we shall see. Ehh I need wheels.. I could do worse.
http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/oil.JPG

brosher
07-18-2008, 02:32 PM
For $3k you could probably get a used M60 with half the miles on it installed.

Jehu
07-18-2008, 03:21 PM
For $3k you could probably get a used M60 with half the miles on it installed.
Installed by whome? Mickey Mouse? Seriously This engine had the small block replaced at 98,000 miles so strictly speaking about the engine its only got 145,000 on it The swap was done in 99 and when i bought it 6 years later only 30,000 miles had been driven. I put the 130,000 miles on it these past two years. the engine shows absoluely no signs of any weakness at all. idles perfectly tons of power, a small vacume leak from a faulty PCV valve notwithstanding. Even the lowest mileage M60 alusil will cost at least what I'm looking at spending here and i can't imagine anyone charging me under $2k to do the transplant but its a thought i guess even though people are always saying these can do 400K with ease.

repenttokyo
07-18-2008, 05:50 PM
it's an engine swap, not rocket science, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. and if you engine didn't show any signs of weakness then it wouldn't be shitting all over your driveway.

Paul in NZ
07-18-2008, 06:27 PM
an oil leak does not a make an engine weak.Surely a complete engine removal and replacement would be more or at least equal to what Jehu faces.And at least he knows what he hs got.

Jehu
07-18-2008, 06:34 PM
an oil leak does not a make an engine weak.Surely a complete engine removal and replacement would be more or at least equal to what Jehu faces.And at least he knows what he hs got.

The only reason I mentioned the engine's strength is this Shop owner i saw today while delivering himself of his opinion said :'you could fix this leak and it a month.... BOOM! it blows up... so many miles..." I reminded him of the Block Swap at 98K but he still didn't share my enthusiasm however slight it was for spending three thousadn dollars..

Paul in NZ
07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
mechs etc see only in black white and their opinions are formed after dealing with hundreds of *******s who think every mechanic is trying to screw them and will do a sloppy job.He thinks you will sue him if the car develops a problem after he has worked on it.A mechanic will seldom have as much enthusiam about our old cars as we do.

Dave M
07-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Jehu,

If you're looking for opinions, you probably won't get any meaningfull ones here. Only you know the value of an oil free driveway, which, as you're aware of, is all you're getting out of this repair. It is a rather bad leak to be dripping on your way into the spot.

As for a motor swap, Members should know better than suggest you go down that road. Similar labour, much greater risk.

I have a feeling you really want to do it, so just spend the money and ignore the comments.

Dave

repenttokyo
07-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Jehu,

If you're looking for opinions, you probably won't get any meaningfull ones here. Only you know the value of an oil free driveway, which, as you're aware of, is all you're getting out of this repair. It is a rather bad leak to be dripping on your way into the spot.

As for a motor swap, Members should know better than suggest you go down that road. Similar labour, much greater risk.

I have a feeling you really want to do it, so just spend the money and ignore the comments.

Dave

but what about an RB26 swap? :D:D:D:D

Ross
07-18-2008, 08:24 PM
$3g is insane all right. It's a lot of work but not three Gs worth. At $100 hr they are trying to tell you 30 hrs? Phht. Do it yourself.

Jehu
07-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Jehu,

Dave

I actually think the leaking is on the way out when oil that has dripped in to the splash guard leaks out thru where it has BEEN EATEN AWAY.. it looks like a Giant Squid slapped my parking space.. I have very kind neighbors not even the property manager has mentioned it to me but my conscience is throttling me so it may be worth it just to clear that up. I was just sharing . I;m not basing my decision on a poll here in any way. I need a car I 've put a lot inot this, way more than I;d ever get out and have to spend on another and i really don;t see anything I love more anyway. I do like the very newest BMW 338 from what I;ve seen. Very nice agressive sleak lines and decent power but I am not interested in taking on any kind of financing at that level. $3K on a credit card isn't really all that painful.

Jehu
07-18-2008, 08:39 PM
$3g is insane all right. It's a lot of work but not three Gs worth. At $100 hr they are trying to tell you 30 hrs? Phht. Do it yourself.

I'd do it myself if I had a garage. Even if I had a friend with one... I don't.. another shop gave me a printed quote which includes TCC gasket, Crank case seal, oil lines, water pump, T-Stat , hoses,lower oil pan gasket( get to check the bolts again)valve cover gaskets and gromets,belts, Intake man. gaskets, throttle body gasket, new plugs all new power steering hoses and reseviour and all fluids refilled of $2,660.00 and at least three days in his shop. I have an appointment there for July 23rd which I am at this point planning to keep. I'll add PCV , Tie Rods and possibly Upper Control arms and bushings, supply my oil Oil (Royal Purple) and a set of VC gaskets I have.. and come in a bit over $3k.. I had Lower Control Arms put on last week which massively tightened up my ride but the Tie rods are shot and one Upper CA ball joint is slightly loose.. so I ought to do those while they do the tie rods just becasue its easier when they're out of the way and the alignment can be good for a while .

Paul in NZ
07-18-2008, 08:46 PM
I'd do it myself if I had a garage. Even if I had a friend with one... I don't.. another shop gave me a printed quote which includes TCC gasket, Crank case seal, oil lines, water pump, T-Stat , hoses,lower oil pan gasket( get to check the bolts again)valve cover gaskets and gromets,belts, Intake man. gaskets, throttle body gasket, new plugs all new power steering hoses and reseviour and all fluids refilled of $2,660.00 and at least three days in his shop. I have an appointment there for July 23rd which I am at this point planning to keep. I'll add PCV , Tie Rods and possibly Upper Control arms and bushings, supply my oil Oil (Royal Purple) and a set of VC gaskets I have.. and come in a bit over $3k.. I had Lower Control Arms put on last week which massively tightened up my ride but the Tie rods are shot and one Upper CA ball joint is slightly loose.. so I ought to do those while they do the tie rods just becasue its easier when they're out of the way and the alignment can be good for a while .
do new engine and box mounts while your there(and check the clutch wear)
You will then have a car ready for another 300k.

Jehu
07-18-2008, 08:49 PM
do new engine and box mounts while your there(and check the clutch wear)
You will then have a car ready for another 300k.

Had drivers side mount and tranny mounts done a few months ago.. night and day difference in the ride.. the clutch doesn't show any signs of slipping and it and the flywheel were replaced about a year ago. If I burned a clutch out in a year I should have my Bimmer taken away...

Paul in NZ
07-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Had drivers side mount and tranny mounts done a few months ago.. night and day difference in the ride.. the clutch doesn't show any signs of slipping and it and the flywheel were replaced about a year ago. If I burned a clutch out in a year I should have my Bimmer taken away...
all good then....dont laugh about the clutch.The weight,tourque and grip of these cars can be tough on clutches.I knew a young guy who burned through clutches in the same time i go between routine services.In the end the car was sitting at the dealer cause he couldnt make the payments AND get a new clutch and flywheel.!

Jehu
07-18-2008, 09:50 PM
all good then....dont laugh about the clutch.The weight,tourque and grip of these cars can be tough on clutches.I knew a young guy who burned through clutches in the same time i go between routine services.In the end the car was sitting at the dealer cause he couldnt make the payments AND get a new clutch and flywheel.!

Is there a way to check by observation other than weather the RPMs rise without a comensurate increase in speed? No sign of slippage presently . I take note regularly and make as much of a conscious effort to use the pedal properly, that is in and out quick.

Paul in NZ
07-19-2008, 12:10 AM
i believe there is a special tool to measure clutch plate thickness

Ferret
07-19-2008, 03:56 AM
i believe there is a special tool to measure clutch plate thickness

After having just done the clutch job, after the clutch burned out in ~18 months... there's no visual access through the bellhousing on the 6 speed box! To check the clutch the entire gearbox has to come off.

You can check the crank main seal but that's it - there's a plug in the sump that pops out and you can have a look see.

Paul in NZ
07-19-2008, 09:27 PM
i am looking at a e39 540/6 and I asked them if there was any way they could etimate the clutch life.The guy said they needed a special too but they didnt have it.