PDA

View Full Version : R34 Ceramic Turbo Setup QUESTIONS

bad_manners_god
07-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Hey guys, I might be getting my hands on 2 R34 Ceramic Turbo's.

Couple Questions:

1a.) How much (roughly) would it cost to make a custom exhaust manifold + Downpipes?
1b.) Does the RB26DETT Manifold bolt onto the M50?
2.) The Intercooler can only be mounted behind the radiator(fan delete) or cut the center portion of the stock bumper...which is better?
3.) How much PSI can a stock M50 handle SAFELY?
4.) On a ratio of 1 to 10 (10 being the most difficult): How hard would the whole setup be?

Thoughts/Idea's?

repenttokyo
07-17-2008, 10:28 PM
setup would be 10 on a hardness scale. M50 can't handle too much more power on stock internals, I don't think. Maybe 80 more? t hat is me talking out of my ass.

as for another car's manifold bolting onto the m50 - no.

in montreal, your fabrication costs will be high.

Ferret
07-18-2008, 04:31 AM
setup would be 10 on a hardness scale. M50 can't handle too much more power on stock internals, I don't think. Maybe 80 more? t hat is me talking out of my ass.

as for another car's manifold bolting onto the m50 - no.

in montreal, your fabrication costs will be high.

You want to be seriously careful about 'boing a stock M50B25, they're already prone to gasket blowing and head cracking without further encouragement...

You'd need some data off JonK as to what was a safe pressure to run as he's already done it.

attack eagle
07-18-2008, 12:01 PM
aren;t those the gt25 twin ceramics?

I sure wouldn;t be running them to be honest. they grenade when they get overhot or are spun too fast, and you;d have all this time into a manifold to fit two turbos with a WG at 1 bar minimum.
Seems it would be LESS expensive to buy a turbo and manifold honestly.

I think 1 bar would be pushing it on a stock m50 but will defer to jon ks expertise..

bad_manners_god
07-19-2008, 12:27 AM
aren;t those the gt25 twin ceramics?

I sure wouldn;t be running them to be honest. they grenade when they get overhot or are spun too fast, and you;d have all this time into a manifold to fit two turbos with a WG at 1 bar minimum.
Seems it would be LESS expensive to buy a turbo and manifold honestly.

I think 1 bar would be pushing it on a stock m50 but will defer to jon ks expertise..

So basically....sell the turbo's + accesories and buy a pre-made manifold, turbo, intercooler +accesories??

Would it be better to run single or twin for the M50?

attack eagle
07-19-2008, 12:40 AM
single IMO, a 2.5 in no way justifies twins, at least not since the 80 when turbine were much slower spooling and less efficient than they are now.

the only reason you ever see twins anymore is packaging concerns, and on the e34 m50, the best packaging is a single top mount ala Jon k. LOADS of room in that corner, and only a washer bottle in it.

have to ask, did you finish the 5 speed swap yet?
that is a mandatory upgrade first as the 4l30e will not handle the torque long term.

bad_manners_god
07-19-2008, 12:46 AM
single IMO, a 2.5 in no way justifies twins, at least not since the 80 when turbine were much slower spooling and less efficient than they are now.

the only reason you ever see twins anymore is packaging concerns, and on the e34 m50, the best packaging is a single top mount ala Jon k. LOADS of room in that corner, and only a washer bottle in it.

have to ask, did you finish the 5 speed swap yet?
that is a mandatory upgrade first as the 4l30e will not handle the torque long term.

The swap must be done either way, my 4l30e is fried. Just trying to find a clean parts car.

ichbinsobose
07-20-2008, 01:26 PM
so much misinformation in this thread

your m50 should spin up the two t25's no problem (i thought they were 28's, but regardless) but a twin setup on our six is a worthless complication. you would better off trading them for a single bigger turbo.

as far as what is safe, its up for debate. I have a few thousand miles on my holset powered m50tu @ 25psi. 10 psi is a nowhere near the power potential out of tiny turbos like that, I would say 4-500whp CAN be safe for a DD with proper charge cooling, tuning, and maintance without cracking open the engine for anything.

repenttokyo
07-20-2008, 01:35 PM
so much misinformation in this thread

your m50 should spin up the two t25's no problem (i thought they were 28's, but regardless) but a twin setup on our six is a worthless complication. you would better off trading them for a single bigger turbo.

as far as what is safe, its up for debate. I have a few thousand miles on my holset powered m50tu @ 25psi. 10 psi is a nowhere near the power potential out of tiny turbos like that, I would say 4-500whp CAN be safe for a DD with proper charge cooling, tuning, and maintance without cracking open the engine for anything.

500 whp on a stock M50?

bad_manners_god
07-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Well, I had the chance to drive the gtr r32 yesterday all day with r34 turbo's in it and I must say it handle's better than most new high end cars I've driven, from G35's to E46 M3's, the GTR was a pure pleasure too drive....insane amount of power, SUPERB handling.

I think I might just finish my touring and keep it for road trips, but I'm seriously looking into a gtr as a solid summer car...

Take out the fuse and your drifting in 3rd no problem, but the fuse back in and you still squeal the tires from second to thrid. The boost is so addictive. I can't believe I'm actually posting this.

attack eagle
07-20-2008, 02:38 PM
a: Who said anything about problems spinning up two t25s? It's been done on a 2.0 dsm back in 1998 or 99 for Shhh n giggles...
b: Normal t25s run out of steam at about 14 psi on a 2.0, and on a 2.5 with twin 25s 1.5 bar would be all you would want to turn them at. The ceramics explode when overspun. period. there is a reason why the first thing you do to a street r34 skyline is replace the turbos before exceeding 20 psi.

can I see your 500 hp dyno chart of your stock engine pulling to redline at 25 psi (the power delivered at 39.7 psi instead of 14.7 assuming no efficiency gains), with the A/f plot showing 11-12 across the board?

And have you accepted that you have to upgrade the MAF yet since you are getting overrun at 4k? hitting a physical limit is not something you can tune around.

Jon K
07-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Yah I am not sure how you're getting 25 psi dynos with a MAF going over range and all.

There is no point in running twin turbos - especially ceramic turbos that fail. If you really want to run twin turbos go for a pair of GT28RS but at about $1200/ea there's no point cost-wise. A single turbo will be more than enough. I ran 16 psi on my stock 200,000 mile M50 non vanos and had no issues for 20k miles. Before that, it was supercharged. Never had an issue.

attack eagle
07-22-2008, 01:51 AM
here
r34 with an m50b25 turbo swapped into it.

love the indy throttlebodies

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1042132

sneekens
07-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Hey guys, I might be getting my hands on 2 R34 Ceramic Turbo's.

Couple Questions:

1a.) How much (roughly) would it cost to make a custom exhaust manifold + Downpipes?
1b.) Does the RB26DETT Manifold bolt onto the M50?
2.) The Intercooler can only be mounted behind the radiator(fan delete) or cut the center portion of the stock bumper...which is better?
3.) How much PSI can a stock M50 handle SAFELY?
4.) On a ratio of 1 to 10 (10 being the most difficult): How hard would the whole setup be?

Thoughts/Idea's?

hmm... just get an R34 or even just an S14 and enough on the e34 touring.. it had much cosmetic beating already, and now on its engine? If ever you really want to push through let these guys build them for you.. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1042132

bad_manners_god
07-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm getting an R32, since that's all that's legal here for the time being (15 yr import rule)

I'll keep the touring for road trips and winter, but the GTR is going to be my DD for spring, summer and fall. Boost is addictive

ichbinsobose
07-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Meh, perhaps some people who hang out with me at the bimmerforums meet on aug 9th will be able to explain how I am pulling 25psi? Lol. Just because people do something that has not been done does not mean much. I dunno maybe more people with balls will start pushing stock blocks until they blow so we have some legit info? One guy sitting on a dyno with race gas blowing up an engine for fun does not mean **** so no CC arguments please.

Put some boost through your engine, DD it for a while, and report back. That's the only way people get some background info for their builds!
I just clicked over 3k at this boost level after a 2 tank trip to PA and back.

Oh, and as far as the MAF... I believe I have a found a solution in the DME. It's working right now but I don't know how effectively until I put a few more thousand miles on it.

Jon K
07-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Did you volt clamp the maf, or resistor it and re calibrate?