PDA

View Full Version : Loud Noises

///Sniper535
07-14-2008, 03:09 AM
I have a few noises that bother me and I can't exactly figure out the culprit.

1. I get a weird buzz coming from the windshield/wipers usually over 60mph. more or less some days. It usually stops when I activate the wipers but start after when the wipers goes down. I'm not sure what it could be.

2. When braking I get a grinding noise. Bad bushing?

3. Will an old sunroof seal create a lot of wind noise up there?

Paul in NZ
07-14-2008, 05:00 AM
there is a electric motor that puts increasing pressure on the wipers as sped rises
grinding noise could be a stone or worn down pads
sunroof seal and a sunroof that sits below the roof line at the back can create noise up there

BMWCCA1
07-14-2008, 09:57 AM
My '95 525i without the self-tensioning wiper feature also had a loud buzz from the wiper area at high speed. It would quit when the wipers were operated. Turned out the plastic shroud around the wiper drive that covers the fresh air intake was buzzing, most likely caused by improper fitting after a windshield replacement. None of the clips were missing so I simply packed a bit of "dumb-dumb" body calk under the top edge and the noise quit. Seems the air flow was disturbed just enough when the wipers were in use to kill the noise. Might be worth a check on yours.

Bill R.
07-14-2008, 11:00 AM
this, Its basically what Phil stated. Old Old bulletin but still applies to the e34

I have a few noises that bother me and I can't exactly figure out the culprit.

1. I get a weird buzz coming from the windshield/wipers usually over 60mph. more or less some days. It usually stops when I activate the wipers but start after when the wipers goes down. I'm not sure what it could be.

2. When braking I get a grinding noise. Bad bushing?

3. Will an old sunroof seal create a lot of wind noise up there?

BMWCCA1
07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
That's it. But I didn't remove the cowl covers, I just lifted them slightly at the windshield edge and stuffed some strip caulk and double-sided attachment tape in there. It's been find for 25,000 miles since. Funny but I don't remember that bulletin or having the problem back in 1989. Lots of other issues, but not that one! Thanks.