PDA

View Full Version : How hard would it be to swap a RB26DETT into my Touring?

bad_manners_god
07-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Hey guys, I have a friend with a R32 Skyline that is going to "disappear" (long story), anywho, I'll have the complete engine, tranny, diff, axles....etc....etc.

How hard would it be to swap that into my touring?
Would it be worth it to swap it into my touring?

Or should I just hold onto the turbo's and piping to custom it my my M50?

attack eagle
07-14-2008, 01:51 AM
well you'd be the first. SO I dunno, and I doubt anyone else does.

engine ecu turbos ic etc, then figuring out how to bolt it to a bmw tranny, or getting an rb25 (rwd) transmission (or was it oil pan that was differnt?) and a bastard shaft to the existing rear diff.

Prpbably a lot harder than just selling the stuff on the open market to someone who wanted to build a top secret AWD s14/skyline and taking the profits to buy a TCD e34 kit... or two... or three.... or 4...

E34-520iSE
07-14-2008, 06:42 AM
this might help:

http://www.eurocca.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17736

Good luck,

Shaun M

repenttokyo
07-14-2008, 08:20 AM
he wouldn't be the first. it will be really expensive dude. and putting disappeared parts into your car can result in your car being seized if anyone ever sees the serial numbers.

E34-520iSE
07-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Ah I take it 'disappeared' parts mean 'naughty' parts. Ah well, best not do it then!

Shaun M

Ross
07-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Just curious to know why you chose a BMW in the first place. If you want to go fast sell the Skyline engine and plop an LS1 in the wagon, that's a swap well documented.

repenttokyo
07-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Just curious to know why you chose a BMW in the first place. If you want to go fast sell the Skyline engine and plop an LS1 in the wagon, that's a swap well documented.

is it? I've only been able to find it for the e36. do you have any links?

bad_manners_god
07-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Well, I'm not putting parts into my car with different serial number's I grind them off first obviously.

I didn't reall choose bmw as my first car but it was handed to me and I learned a lot about it and started to like the suspension, handling, and the dirty looks people would give me when i would pass them in wagon over 200.

Wouldn't an LS1 be extremely expensive on gas and the engine itself.

DaveVoorhis
07-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey guys, I have a friend with a R32 Skyline that is going to "disappear"

Well, I'm not putting parts into my car with different serial number's I grind them off first obviously.

You sound like a real winner. And by "winner", I mean "loser".

repenttokyo
07-14-2008, 02:26 PM

I didn't reall choose bmw as my first car but it was handed to me and I learned a lot about it and started to like the suspension, handling, and the dirty looks people would give me when i would pass them in wagon over 200.

LS1 is much cheaper than an RB.

Dude, you know I like you, but installing stolen parts is retarded. It just encourages theft. As someone who has had a car stolen and never recovered in Montreal, that sucks. Don't create a marketplace for that ****.

Ross
07-14-2008, 02:43 PM
is it? I've only been able to find it for the e36. do you have any links?
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892636
There is another I will look for, stand by
Here, http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768900&highlight=e34+bmw

repenttokyo
07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892636
There is another I will look for, stand by
Here, http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768900&highlight=e34+bmw

thank-you - checking them out now.

i have been itching to build an ls1 miata for a while.

Ross
07-14-2008, 05:23 PM
You sound like a real winner. And by "winner", I mean "loser".
You missed this;
"and started to like the suspension, handling, and the dirty looks people would give me when i would pass them in wagon over 200."
Is this Joey Butafuco Jr.?

bad_manners_god
07-14-2008, 07:31 PM
You missed this;
"and started to like the suspension, handling, and the dirty looks people would give me when i would pass them in wagon over 200."
Is this Joey Butafuco Jr.?

I don't understand??

repenttokyo: I'm not going to go into detail about this to incrimate myself, but the car is my friends and he wants to get rid of it, I'm helping him out ;);)

LS1 would be retardly expensive on gas. At this point however I would have the RB and all the parts to go with it, like the computer, harness and all the other stuff. I'd have modify the cluster since it's the shape is different and it goes to 320km/h.

In either case it would be a difficult swap. However, wouldn't it be easier to have a complete parts car to do the swap with, (that I know is in good running condition) versus finding a LS1 out of a smashed car?

DaveVoorhis
07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't understand??
You will when you're older, assuming you get there.

repenttokyo
07-14-2008, 09:12 PM
the rb will have the same gas mileage as the ls1. but the RB is no better or worse in terms of install, I don't think.

Jon K
07-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Are you seriously talking about using a motor from a stolen car? You realize that is a federal offense, right? And uh, grinding serial numbers off is not a "oh thats cool" thing - wow dude you sound ridiculous (and clueless).

525i winter driver
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM

this is the best post i have ever seen on any forum ever.

dude what difference does it make with all the fines you're going to get?

bad_manners_god
07-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Are you seriously talking about using a motor from a stolen car? You realize that is a federal offense, right? And uh, grinding serial numbers off is not a "oh thats cool" thing - wow dude you sound ridiculous (and clueless).

Jeez, I know of what I speak in terms of getting the parts. FYI, not grinding the serial numbers would be even more ridiculous.

All I simply wanted to know was how hard the install would be.

DaveVoorhis
07-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Jeez, I know of what I speak in terms of getting the parts. FYI, not grinding the serial numbers would be even more ridiculous.

All I simply wanted to know was how hard the install would be.
Then why even mention a Skyline that's "going to 'disappear'" and grinding off serial numbers? Oh, I know, it's because you're enough of a stupid young prat to think it's "kewl", and even worse, to think we'd actually be impressed.

Idiot.

bad_manners_god
07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Then why even mention a Skyline that's "going to 'disappear'" and grinding off serial numbers? Oh, I know, it's because you're enough of a stupid young prat to think it's "kewl", and even worse, to think we'd actually be impressed.

Idiot.

Like I honestly care what you think, the reason I mentioned the skyline in the first place was that people would know I have an entire parts car that would facilitate the swap if need be.

The reason I mentioned serial numbers is that people asked about the parts.

he wouldn't be the first. it will be really expensive dude. and putting disappeared parts into your car can result in your car being seized if anyone ever sees the serial numbers.

^^See, no serial numbers.....uh....no problems.

DaveVoorhis
07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Like I honestly care what you think, the reason I mentioned the skyline in the first place was that people would know I have an entire parts car that would facilitate the swap if need be.

Yeah? Here's what you wrote because you thought it'd make you look "kewl":

Hey guys, I have a friend with a R32 Skyline that is going to "disappear" (long story), anywho, I'll have the complete engine, tranny, diff, axles....etc....etc.
Here's what you could have written:

Hey guys, I can get an R32 Skyline including the complete engine, tranny, diff, axles....etc....etc.
That's what you'd have written if all you wanted was advice on the swap, and there'd never have been a reason to mention grinding serial numbers.

So, not only are you an idiot for doing something dodgy, you're not even bright enough to keep from posting it on the Internet. Straight to jail, do not pass Go...

repenttokyo
07-14-2008, 10:12 PM

^^See, no serial numbers.....uh....no problems.

if you get pulled over in quebec and they see that there are no serial numbers (on the spot, or as a result of inspection) you will get busted dude. they target that kind of thing in our province.

bad_manners_god
07-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah? Here's what you wrote because you thought it'd make you look "kewl":

Here's what you could have written:

That's what you'd have written if all you wanted was advice on the swap, and there'd never have been a reason to mention grinding serial numbers.

So, not only are you an idiot for doing something dodgy, you're not even bright enough to keep from posting it on the Internet. Straight to jail, do not pass Go...

So, can I e-mail you with my english essay before I hand it in so you can look over it and give it your stamp of approval.

So what if I said it was going to "disappear," (long story)... I just wanted some insight on how hard the swap would be and what it would entail.

You're the one who got all mad and started spamming the thread all kinds because I didn't phrase my sentence properly...

By the way, internet, forums, chat pretty much don't hold up in any court....you know why???.... because it can easily be modified by anyone out there.

DaveVoorhis
07-14-2008, 10:38 PM
So, can I e-mail you with my english essay before I hand it in so you can look over it and give it your stamp of approval.

So what if I said it was going to "disappear," (long story)... I just wanted some insight on how hard the swap would be and what it would entail.

You're the one who got all mad and started spamming the thread all kinds because I didn't phrase my sentence properly...

By the way, internet, forums, chat pretty much don't hold up in any court....you know why???.... because it can easily be modified by anyone out there.
Well done! You've successfully proved you're a dodgy idiot, which is simultaneously the worst kind of dodgy and the worst kind of idiot.

Have a nice day in court.

Jon K
07-14-2008, 11:16 PM
This dude is terrible

E34-520iSE
07-15-2008, 03:17 AM
I can't figure out how putting parts of dubious origin in a car is ok. All the cops have to do is open the hood and start poking around. Folks here on the forum have a good reason for getting upset about Bad_Manners_God's comments. The Skyline 'doner' car could have been used in a burglary, ram raid, murder, insurance fraud etc etc so why condone this behaviour by taking the running gear? Getting caught with that junk in a car will bring even bigger problems, serial numbers or no serial numbers. And wanting to take it up to 200 is going to attract even more unwanted attention to it isn't it - you might even find yourself in the middle of a crime, theft or worse. If the parts are legitimate then that's great - go for it, do the build and show us the pics - I'd love to see the conversion. If not then I don't think you'll be happy for long.....

HTH,

Shaun M

Ferret
07-15-2008, 04:10 AM
Interesting thread...

Did you know that most manufacturers intentionally imprint the serial numbers into the block and head in a special heat treated manner, so that grinding the numbers off isnt going to do you any good at all.

There was a case in the UK about this a few years back with people chopping up Range Rovers in a dodgy 'breakers' yard. They claimed the serial numbers were ground off to 'avoid confusion' - it took the police about a year to figure out the technology and start reading the serial numbers from the metal itself.

If you get caught with ground serial numbers, they'll confiscate the car and read the numbers out of the metal anyway.

The manufacturers are usually pretty devious as well :) They'll intentionally put the serial number over some sort of fluid passage, so if you grind down enough to actually clear the deep set number out of the metalwork - it'll destroy the component.

If the motor itself isnt dodgy, do NOT grind the numbers off - if the police see that, they'll get you for something regardless of the motors origin - and then you've gotta live without your car for a while while they take it apart to heat scan the numbers out of the block...

At the end of the day it's your choice - it'd definitely make a cool project, but be careful - not grinding the numbers off will get you in less trouble... if you get caught.

Ross
07-15-2008, 07:48 AM
The stamping process not only leaves the impressions we all see but also invisibly(to us) disturbs the metal a bit further below the visible impression area. With some reasonably sophisticated equipment these "impressions" can still be read.
Probably not worth the effort to prosecute some kid but a few Corvettes and high dollar muscle cars have been proved to have been restamped. Hell, my friends and I personally destroyed half of the original motors.

Ferret
07-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Probably not worth the effort to prosecute some kid

It's all dependant! If there's some mouthing off going on... I've seen officers rip 'some kid's car apart for a drugs search just because he gave them a mouthful of abuse :D

Booster
07-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Frick....lets just answer the damn question for Gods sake !

I have an RB26DETT AWD drivetrain on dolleys/carts. No matter what you can afford to do....its the skills involved to get evertything properly placed and custom mounts made,driveshafts etc.
You can always swap electronics etc. too. If he doesent have a built engine though....whats the point of the questionable swap with risky parts?

If its a GT-R , awd....then you'll be cutting out some of the front frame rails to allow for the front halfshafts.
Now get to researching the details......while your in prison for harboring and recieving stolen property.;)

bad_manners_god
07-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Frick....lets just answer the damn question for Gods sake !

I have an RB26DETT AWD drivetrain on dolleys/carts. No matter what you can afford to do....its the skills involved to get evertything properly placed and custom mounts made,driveshafts etc.
You can always swap electronics etc. too. If he doesent have a built engine though....whats the point of the questionable swap with risky parts?

If its a GT-R , awd....then you'll be cutting out some of the front frame rails to allow for the front halfshafts.
Now get to researching the details......while your in prison for harboring and recieving stolen property.;)

Thanks for some insight. It is a GT-R but I'm keeping it RWD to avoid an insane spindle conversion up front.

The only thing's to really modify so far that I've come up with are:

1.) Custom Engine Mounts
2.) Custom Tranny Mounts
3.) Custom Linkage....if it doesn't reach.
4.) Custom Driveshaft

The rest of the swap I have complete... Cluster, Computer, Complete harness.

Anything else you could think of that would propose problems?

Booster
07-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for some insight. It is a GT-R but I'm keeping it RWD to avoid an insane spindle conversion up front.

1.) Custom Engine Mounts
2.) Custom Tranny Mounts
4.) Custom Driveshaft

Aside from full custom exhaust,radiator install and hoses,and subframe conector points welding....your on your way to doing it. I'm not a purist....probably why I'm helping . I will say I don't like whats going on the downlow at all.:(

Its makes a cool swap ...not so cool.

bad_manners_god
07-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Aside from full custom exhaust,radiator install and hoses,and subframe conector points welding....your on your way to doing it. I'm not a purist....probably why I'm helping . I will say I don't like whats going on the downlow at all.:(

Its makes a cool swap ...not so cool.

I'll be doing most of the swap myself, the only things I won't be doing is getting the mounting brackets welded in...I suck at welding...The Exhaust, and of course the driveshaft.

I think for the radiator I'll either use the stock m50 or maybe the one from the skyline...I'll go to an auto-parts store for the hoses and find one that fits.

If I don't go through with the whole swap, I'm keeping the turbo's at least and I'll have a manifold made for them.

repenttokyo
07-15-2008, 07:24 PM

1.) Custom Engine Mounts
2.) Custom Tranny Mounts
4.) Custom Driveshaft

have you figured out how to interface the wiring harnesses of the two cars? that alone will be a nightmare of labor.

bad_manners_god
07-15-2008, 07:33 PM
have you figured out how to interface the wiring harnesses of the two cars? that alone will be a nightmare of labor.

Yea, it'll be a lot of work just wiring, but I know I'm going to have to trace all the wires from the cluster....hopefully, most of them go into the engine bay, I know a few will come from the OBC....which will probably become useless.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Retarded.

Hie34....There are you happy now?

bad_manners_god
07-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Retarded.

???

bad_manners_god
07-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure I want to go through with the whole swap anymore....after talking to a couple people about mounts and the harness. They've given some serious quotes...

What do you guys think about just making a manifold for the turbo's?
How much psi can a stock m50 hold SAFELY?

Booster
07-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure I want to go through with the whole swap anymore....after talking to a couple people about mounts and the harness. They've given some serious quotes...

What do you guys think about just making a manifold for the turbo's?
How much psi can a stock m50 hold SAFELY?

Believe me when I say....if these few things made you take a step back, your not mentally,skillfully,financially ready to do the rest.
I say this with sincerely the best intentions.

Anyone agree.....Jon ??

Jon K
07-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Believe me when I say....if these few things made you take a step back, your not mentally,skillfully,financially ready to do the rest.
I say this with sincerely the best intentions.

Anyone agree.....Jon ??

I don't think this guy ever had provisions to do this and I think it was a "These guys will think I'm cool" which backfired and now he's retreating.

MurderBlack
07-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I just don't see a point in the swap... and it all seems like talk anyways

HIe34
07-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Retarded.

I think you changed his mind with your small pearl of wisdom.."retarded".