start`the`car`i`really`dont`know`why`the`car`takes `so`long`to`start
it's`driving`me`crazy`what`can`i`do

whiskychaser
07-13-2008, 01:04 PM
hi`guys`i`have`a`1990`525`e34`bmw`and`i`have`to`cr ank`the`engine`
awhile`before`it`starts`sometimes`my`battery`dies` due`to`me`trying`to
start`the`car`i`really`dont`know`why`the`car`takes `so`long`to`start
it's`driving`me`crazy`what`can`i`do

If it doesnt fire after 3-4 seconds on the key you have a problem. It may just be you have a lazy starter or your battery isnt fully charged. Flattening the battery trying isnt a good idea-it could stuff it. I'd check your battery is fully charged and you have plugs that are less than a year old. Maybe you could let us know what you have do so far to sort it? Could be my screen but you may need to have a look at your KB too:)

E34-520iSE
07-13-2008, 01:41 PM
I think his spacebar's buggered! What engine do you have? Is it a single cam (M20) or a twin cam (M50)? Does it happen when the engine is warm or cold? Does the car eventually start up? Is the exhaust smoky? Is the valvegear noisy?

Sorry for all the questions but it'll help us diagnose your starting issues.

ATB,

Shaun M

Paul in NZ
07-13-2008, 07:09 PM
first thing to do is a new battery or at least get your fully charged.That could be the whole problem

bayviewsbb
07-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Agree with Paul about getting/running a fully charged battery for a host of reasons...but I fixed my similar problem by replacing the fuel pressure regulator. Common enough problem, particularly in the heat of an aussie summer, where you've run the car for awhile, switched off then a short time after, tried to fire up and it takes ages. As the name suggests, if the regulator's not holding/maintaining the fuel presssure (tiny hole/loose fitting etc) when you switch off, then firing up again properly/quickly is gunna be a bit of a bastard... Replacement part is cheap enough and dead easy to fit after clamping off the fuel hose...
Cheers,
bayviewsbb

allerston
07-17-2008, 02:16 AM
I think his spacebar's buggered! What engine do you have? Is it a single cam (M20) or a twin cam (M50)? Does it happen when the engine is warm or cold? Does the car eventually start up? Is the exhaust smoky? Is the valvegear noisy?

Sorry for all the questions but it'll help us diagnose your starting issues.

ATB,

Shaun M

hi`shaun
it's`a`m20`single`cam`and`it`happens`when`the`engi ne`is`cold`and`when`it
starts`up`it's`smoky`as`well`the`engine`was`just`d one`up

E34-520iSE
07-17-2008, 08:18 AM
hi`shaun
it's`a`m20`single`cam`and`it`happens`when`the`engi ne`is`cold`and`when`it

The engine was 'done up'? Uh oh sounds suspicious. What was done to it?

Shaun M

whiskychaser
07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
`it`happens`when`the`engine`is`cold`and`when`it
At the risk of sounding patronising, can we establish what sort of smoke?:
Black= fuel (too much being burned-mixture up the wall. Intake air leaks?)
Blue = Oil (too much being burned-duff rings/valve guides/guide oils seals?)
White= Steam (could be normal but could also be head gasket/cracked head-any mayo under oil filler cap/on dipstick? Loss of coolant?)
Visual inspection of plugs will help confirm. Compression test would assist but if its white 'smoke' keep a close eye on that temp needle when you warm up. And let it cool down fully before you put the plugs back in.