PDA

View Full Version : 88 535 E34: only one side of driver's display is lit

rogerxnz
07-13-2008, 03:19 AM
I have read about replacing the light bulbs for the central OBC but I have found nothing about light bulbs for the driver's OBC display, only mention of replacing capacitors for the instrument cluster which is above the driver's OBC display.

On my 1988 535, only the right hand side of the driver's display is lit up and the left side is very faint. How do I fix this? Are there light bulbs in the display unit which should be replaced?

Incidentally, what is the correct name for the driver's OBC display, which, hopefully, differentiates it from the central OBC?

TIA
Roger

525i winter driver
07-13-2008, 07:45 AM
I have read about replacing the light bulbs for the central OBC but I have found nothing about light bulbs for the driver's OBC display, only mention of replacing capacitors for the instrument cluster which is above the driver's OBC display.

On my 1988 535, only the right hand side of the driver's display is lit up and the left side is very faint. How do I fix this? Are there light bulbs in the display unit which should be replaced?

Incidentally, what is the correct name for the driver's OBC display, which, hopefully, differentiates it from the central OBC?

TIA
Rogeryes there are bulbs.
there are a few different cluster models - they all use the same bulbs as the obc but some also use a smaller bulb with a beige socket and there are larger bulbs also for the backlighting. there are some good photos on this page (http://www.lehrmangroup.com/rickard/airBagAndBulbs.html).

nirvana19
07-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Mine is a model year 1989 built in 88 so I would guess we have the same gauge cluster. mine is different from those listed on that page, I had only 1.2 volt bulbs and the largest (3?). If yours is the same you want to get a few 1.2 volt bulbs from the dealership or a parts distributor. Very simple to replace, if you don't have an airbag just pull off the steering wheel (one self-locking nut, should replace) and pull out the cluster (two philips screws).

without airbag should be very simple! if you do somehow have an airbag I think the procedure on bmwe34.net shows how.

Paul in NZ
07-13-2008, 07:03 PM
we just call it the cluster or instrument panel.I think the actual term for the part of the display you are talking about is the check control