PDA

View Full Version : Interesting job today, only about the third time I have ever seen this, it was a

Bill R.
05-28-2004, 01:31 AM
89 volvo 740 with the aw70 trans and the transmission cooler thats inside the radiator had corroded through in one place inside the radiator...Pulled the pan off the transmission and there was a 1/4 inch of rusty sludge on the bottom of the pan and the screen was completely plugged up with rusty crap too...
I had just done the fluid and screen a month ago so I knew something was up...the only thing I could come up with was trans cooler leaking so I pulled the radiator and opened it up and sure enough where the fittings join the cooler it was all corroded and leaking internally.. Hopefully this trans will recover from this abuse.. So i'll get to flush the engine and the trans for a couple of hours tomorrow...picked up a new radiator from radiator.com for 150

George M
05-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Was there any further tell in terms of how the trans shifted or change to either engine coolant or trans fluid color or level? Pretty darn good if that trans can take that level of fluid tainted by coolant and filter blockage and not suffer long term.
George

winfred
05-28-2004, 09:11 AM
it takes a lot to kill a aw70/71/72, overly expensive od solonoid and output shaft bushing wear (fixable) are the only problems i've seen, once on a blue moon one will leak from the pump o-ring by the bellhousing

Bill R.
05-28-2004, 09:12 AM
if she shut it off and let it cool down she could drive it until all the crap got sucked up against the screen again... there's all kinds of black gook inside the old radiator and the engine but a little oil goes a long way in the cooling system... and the trans fluid level wasn't up noticably but the fluid which was only a couple of weeks old has a really strange coloring but it doesn't look frothy like the engine oil does when you get water in it.. and if you let engine oil sit with water in it it eventually separates and you can see layers, this sat most of the day in some clear bottlles i had just for that reason and it never formed layers...

Was there any further tell in terms of how the trans shifted or change to either engine coolant or trans fluid color or level? Pretty darn good if that trans can take that level of fluid tainted by coolant and filter blockage and not suffer long term.
George

Bill R.
05-28-2004, 09:15 AM
borg warner 3 speed with the 4 gear overdrive added to it... very strong design , but in this case she might have finally killed it...I'll find out today..

it takes a lot to kill a aw70/71/72, overly expensive od solonoid and output shaft bushing wear (fixable) are the only problems i've seen, once on a blue moon one will leak from the pump o-ring by the bellhousing

winfred
05-28-2004, 09:18 AM
if you can't find one locally i have a few on the yard

Bill R.
05-28-2004, 11:06 AM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/rad1.jpg

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/rad2.jpg

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/rad3.jpg

QUOTE=winfred]if you can't find one locally i have a few on the yard[/QUOTE]

winfred
05-28-2004, 12:29 PM
oh nice