PDA

View Full Version : dash capacitor questions

skidmark
07-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I have what appears to be capacitor issues i.e. erratic fuel gauge, tach is very jumpy, brake fluid light coming on intermitant. But I also seem to have an engine miss associated with these symptoms.

I searched and read the posts about the capacitors, and did not notice any mention of an engine miss. It started as a miss when the brake fluid light would flicker, and tonight I was experimenting with a computer reset and when I started the car back up, the brake fluid light came on, the car missed, then died and I have not been able to restart it.

Stomp test shows no codes.

Fuel pump fuse looks good.

Any one experience anything like this?

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Bad caps just make the dash flip out, you would be able to still drive it.

I'd start checking the usual suspects, fusible link, main relay, CPS and assorted fuses and grounds.

skidmark
07-09-2008, 09:39 PM
yea, thats what I thought. But it's weird, it all started happening at the same time.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-09-2008, 09:48 PM
yea, thats what I thought. But it's weird, it all started happening at the same time.

Check to make sure your battery and alternator are good

skidmark
07-09-2008, 10:01 PM
I think my battery is ok. New OEM 2 years ago. The indicator window on the battery shows green (good charge). All the lights on the dash light up, everything else electrical seems to be working. it just wont start. I will start ruling out the main suspects tomorrow after work.

myles
07-09-2008, 11:49 PM
I have seen an E34 that had similar symptoms. The problem was solved when the leads/rotor/cap/plugs were replaced and the engine stopped missing. Something to do with the misfiring was causing the dash and the auto trans ecu to play up.

Qube
07-10-2008, 08:13 AM
LMK if you diagnose it to be a gauge clusterboard. I have a spare one :)

skidmark
07-10-2008, 09:00 AM
I have seen an E34 that had similar symptoms. The problem was solved when the leads/rotor/cap/plugs were replaced and the engine stopped missing. Something to do with the misfiring was causing the dash and the auto trans ecu to play up.

I replaced the leads,rotor,cap, plugs about 5k miles ago. I have not replaced the coil. Will check for spark tonight.

Thanks for all of the advice so far everyone.

myles
07-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I replaced the leads,rotor,cap, plugs about 5k miles ago. I have not replaced the coil. Will check for spark tonight.

Thanks for all of the advice so far everyone.

Whatever is the cause of your misfire, could also be the cause of electrical gremlins in the dash. Good luck.

skidmark
07-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I finally got to look at the car tonight. Checked for spark and found no spark. Coil had 12v at terminal 15 to gnd. Checked the Crank Position Sensor......and found it loose and touching the teeth. Had a groove worn in (dont know if new ones have a groove?) Ohmed it out per Bentley and found 0 ohms. I will order a new one tomorrow. Sure hope this is it!