PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for this M5?

repenttokyo
07-09-2008, 04:52 PM
1991, 200 000 miles.

Here's the issue: Oil seepage from valve/cam cover, and leaky SLS.

I can get it for less than 5K

Black on black, stock wheels, all other options and systems working fine.

Car apparently drives well. I am close to getting it independently inspected.

Am I crazy?

repenttokyo
07-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Follow up question: underneath the turbine wheel covers, do the wheels look the same as the throwing stars?

bubba966
07-09-2008, 05:10 PM
1991, 200 000 miles.

Here's the issue: Oil seepage from valve/cam cover, and leaky SLS.

I can get it for less than 5K

Black on black, stock wheels, all other options and systems working fine.

Car apparently drives well. I am close to getting it independently inspected.

Am I crazy?

If the engine has been maintained properly and the valves been properly adjusted I say no, you're not soo crazy.

Follow up question: underneath the turbine wheel covers, do the wheels look the same as the throwing stars?

Yes, the wheels are the same underneath the turbine covers. You can just get T-Star covers and the proper bolts for them and install those instead of the turbines. Need to get new bolts with the T-Star covers as the turbines use longer bolts than the T-Stars covers do.

repenttokyo
07-09-2008, 05:12 PM
If the engine has been maintained properly and the valves been properly adjusted I say no, you're not soo crazy.

Yes, the wheels are the same underneath the turbine covers. You can just get T-Star covers and the proper bolts for them and install those instead of the turbines. Need to get new bolts with the T-Star covers as the turbines use longer bolts than the T-Stars covers do.

Thank-you for your opinion. I guess wht worries is me instantly having to sink $$ into the SLS and whatever is causing the oil leak, if the oil leak proves to be something serious. What is the worst case scenario for the leak?

I have been trying to find prices for SLS conversion kits, but I can't find anything recent. It all seems to hover around 1k - does that sound right?

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Thank-you for your opinion. I guess wht worries is me instantly having to sink $$ into the SLS and whatever is causing the oil leak, if the oil leak proves to be something serious. What is the worst case scenario for the leak?

I have been trying to find prices for SLS conversion kits, but I can't find anything recent. It all seems to hover around 1k - does that sound right?

A sachs kit or similar kit with shocks and springs will take care of the SLS.

Might only be the valve cover gasket...not a big deal.

Pay attention to the trans. see how it shifts between 2nd 3rd .high mileage could mean a rebuild in the near future @ $3500.

Take a look at the chain tensioner to see if it has been upgraded to the s50 style.

Start when it's cold and listen for bad air pump, noisy valves or chain rattle.

Hope you plan to learn and do most of the maintenance, or it's gonna hurt.

Good luck...

It takes a special person to love an ageing ///M5

bubba966
07-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Dinan Stage 1 Bilstein suspension w/SLS elimination is either $1,282 or $1,300 depending on the build date.

I'm sure a new cam cover gasket is all that's needed to stop that oil leak. I've no idea on what that runs though. I'd go ask that question over here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4

I've driven a '93 M5 that had a Dinan Stage 1 Bilstein/SLS delete suspension. Handles incredibly well, and isn't really much stiffer (if any) than the stock setup.

Offhand I'm not sure who else has SLS delete kits for these things. But the Dinan kit you get all new springs and shocks all the way around. And if you bought new factory springs for all 4 corners you'd already be at $700. And a pair of SLS struts is another $1,200. New strut inserts for the front is another $300-$400. Kinda makes the Dinan SLS delete setup look a bit cheap compared to just replacing the stock components.

bubba966
07-09-2008, 05:27 PM

Does the Sachs kit have the needed parts to eliminate the SLS system?

repenttokyo
07-09-2008, 05:27 PM

Might only be the valve cover gasket...not a big deal.

Pay attention to the trans. see how it shifts between 2nd 3rd .high mileage could mean a rebuild in the near future @ $3500.

Take a look at the chain tensioner to see if it has been upgraded to the s50 style.

Start when it's cold and listen for bad air pump, noisy valves or chain rattle.

Hope you plan to learn and do most of the maintenance, or it's gonna hurt.

Good luck...

It takes a special person to love an ageing ///M5

thanks. does the SLS have the same mountings as the stock suspension? as in, could i mount the same eibach / bilstein kit I have in my 525 in there?

I appreciate the tips. I am doing the buying long distance, so these are all questions I will have to ask the indy garage that does the inspection, should the owner prove willing to go in that direction.

repenttokyo
07-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Dinan Stage 1 Bilstein suspension w/SLS elimination is either $1,282 or $1,300 depending on the build date.

I'm sure a new cam cover gasket is all that's needed to stop that oil leak. I've no idea on what that runs though. I'd go ask that question over here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4

I've driven a '93 M5 that had a Dinan Stage 1 Bilstein/SLS delete suspension. Handles incredibly well, and isn't really much stiffer (if any) than the stock setup.

Offhand I'm not sure who else has SLS delete kits for these things. But the Dinan kit you get all new springs and shocks all the way around. And if you bought new factory springs for all 4 corners you'd already be at $700. And a pair of SLS struts is another $1,200. New strut inserts for the front is another $300-$400. Kinda makes the Dinan SLS delete setup look a bit cheap compared to just replacing the stock components.

that is a really reasonable price for all 4 corners suspension.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Does the Sachs kit have the needed parts to eliminate the SLS system?

You don't really need anything special to eliminate the SLS.

most just cap off the accumulators, some take all the plmbing out and loop it off at the pump.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-09-2008, 05:49 PM
thanks. does the SLS have the same mountings as the stock suspension? as in, could i mount the same eibach / bilstein kit I have in my 525 in there?

I appreciate the tips. I am doing the buying long distance, so these are all questions I will have to ask the indy garage that does the inspection, should the owner prove willing to go in that direction.

You'll need the top shock mounts for the rear if they are not included

Paul in NZ
07-09-2008, 06:54 PM
at the M5 board there is a thread abot getting the sls reconditioned

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-09-2008, 07:37 PM
at the M5 board there is a thread abot getting the sls reconditioned

You sure that's not the EDC system?

bubba966
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
It was said that Sportsline could also rebuild the SLS struts as they're very similar to the EDC struts. Bad thing is that it'd cost the same as rebuilding an EDC strut. Which at $400 per rear strut + shipping to and from the UK probably makes it more expensive to rebuild an SLS strut for someone in the US than it does to just buy a new pair of SLS struts.

Oh, and rear EDC struts cost almost $1,500 each in the US making sending those to the UK for a rebuild a lot more cost effective than sending an SLS strut over there.

But if you don't feel the need to keep the SLS system, why buy a pair of struts for $1,200 when you can get yourself a whole new spring & shock setup from Dinan for $1,300. And as far as I know the Dinan kit is everything you need to replace the factory SLS setup with a non-SLS setup.

Jr ///M5
07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
The question should be, "How much am I willing to spend after the inital cash outlay?"

There's no such thing as a cheap exotic, even though the M5 isn't quite at that status, it's close enough to teach a thing or two to the unsuspecting buyer.

JR

Sam-Son
07-10-2008, 12:42 AM
as said before just eliminate the SLS....as for the other stuff from what Ive heard M5's can be quite expensive to fix id be wary of one with an engine that was in less than tip top JMO