PDA

View Full Version : Case of the Missing Crank sensor?

SnakeyesTx
07-07-2008, 06:22 PM
So I get a distraught call from my folks the other day about how their 528i just decided to up and stall at a light and how they had a hard time getting the car started again. It's a 97 E39 528 auto (as seen in my profile since they get to drive it more than I do).

Hooked up the OBD-2 scanner and lo and behold, a crank position sensor error. No problem, one gets ordered and picked up today. I crawl under the car, take off the wind deflector cover thing behind the bumper and take a peek. Crank has that huge reluctor gear behind the pulley like it should. After a few minutes of searching, I found the bracket where the sensor goes up in the 10 o'clock position of the motor if you're staring straight at it. Basically it's under a radiator hose, but still approachable.

Notice... I said the bracket where it goes. The sensor was nowhere to be found. Additionally, neither was the wiring or connector! What gives?

Dave M
07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Interesting.

For clarification, its #9 in therealoem diagram (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DD63&mospid=47585&btnr=11_1485&hg=11&fg=10), right?

You've located the bracket/hole it fits into, but no sensor or wire? Thats friggin strange, and I can't see how it would have started with out it. Anyhow, is the M4 or M5 thread in the bracket stripped by any chance. Any signs of a chewed up wire hanging out down there (something punched it out???). What about the other end? On the M50, it goes up from the sensor, the wraps around the cylinder head toward the drivers side and finds a home amongst some other stuff.

Do do do do, do do do do................

Dave

Dave M
07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Hold on, # 9 (CPS) isn't listed in the table below the diagram. Me thinks theres a reason.

EDIT: Try this (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DD63&mospid=47585&btnr=11_1509&hg=11&fg=10) # 18. Thats for an 96 build date 528 sedan.

Slightly different one on the post 09/98 M52, but similar location (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DM63&mospid=47585&btnr=11_2167&hg=11&fg=10)

So they kept the bracket for the 'traditional' e34 CPS, but moved the e38 M52 CPS to another location to get a reading right off the crankshaft rather than the harmonic balancer.

Dave

SnakeyesTx
07-07-2008, 10:29 PM
My car is a late 96 production model, but the sensor looks like that 9/98 link you provided. Is that at the back of the motor, actually IN the block? That's just ... bizarre (that they would put the reluctor wheel on the crank still, but put the sensor in the back!) Judging from that picture I'll have to check the block on the drivers side under the intake.... fun fun :x

Bill R.
07-08-2008, 12:53 AM
get to. Remove the air cleaner housing and the hoses up to the throttle body then you'll have room to get to it underneath

My car is a late 96 production model, but the sensor looks like that 9/98 link you provided. Is that at the back of the motor, actually IN the block? That's just ... bizarre (that they would put the reluctor wheel on the crank still, but put the sensor in the back!) Judging from that picture I'll have to check the block on the drivers side under the intake.... fun fun :x

SnakeyesTx
07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks Bill, it was right where the picture showed. Man... talk about a pain to get at. Guess they thought the front of the motor under the thermostat housing was too easy to get at so they'd make it more challenging to make you take it to the dealer :D

BTW, I have that program but I was only able to install the TIS part, and it doesn't seem very helpful. Is there a particular order to installing that?

Bill R.
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
that i posted is from the TIS. The other program for parts is the etk.

Thanks Bill, it was right where the picture showed. Man... talk about a pain to get at. Guess they thought the front of the motor under the thermostat housing was too easy to get at so they'd make it more challenging to make you take it to the dealer :D

BTW, I have that program but I was only able to install the TIS part, and it doesn't seem very helpful. Is there a particular order to installing that?

Jon K
07-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Know what's a pain? Trying to figure out the 60-2 tooth position when the trigger wheel is inside the engine block :)