PDA

View Full Version : VEry Urgent 540 Steering Wheel Removeal Help!

Jehu
07-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Using Billr's E34 Steering wheel removal page I set out to remove mine to change Inst.Cluster Bulbs but the lower Column Cover is NOT THE SAME!LOL.. I removed the one screw but I am afraid I'll break the Plastic Cover if I don't know HOW IT COMES OFF! Can anyone explain How to remove this? I thought I'd need to unplug the SRS Airbag Orange Plug up in here;http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/PICT0001.JPG

before I pull this plug;http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/PICT0003.JPG
Can I just pull that and remove the Airbag Safely without unplugging any other stage? Or what about undoing the Plug back under the seat? is this perhaps the equivalent of the steering column plug on this Help Page?
http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/PICT0004.JPG

and of course the Negative battery Cable is Unhooked.. I have just a few hours of daylight left and even less patients in this hellish humidity..

Scott C
07-06-2008, 06:21 PM
That looks the same as mine (95 525) - and I just took my steering wheel of yesterday ;)

You have removed the one screw that retains the lower cover. The lower cover and upper cover snap together (many snaps). Carefully pull them apart and you will be set. Now removing the lower cover completely is a pain because of the levers on the right, but you will figure that out.

I can't answer your question about what is safe - I get butt pucker every time I take that explosive device off. I disconnect the orange connector under that cover you are trying to remove (after waiting 15 min with battery disconnected). Store air bag with bag up!

Jehu
07-06-2008, 07:11 PM
That looks the same as mine (95 525) - and I just took my steering wheel of yesterday ;)

You have removed the one screw that retains the lower cover. The lower cover and upper cover snap together (many snaps). Carefully pull them apart and you will be set. Now removing the lower cover completely is a pain because of the levers on the right, but you will figure that out.

I can't answer your question about what is safe - I get butt pucker every time I take that explosive device off. I disconnect the orange connector under that cover you are trying to remove (after waiting 15 min with battery disconnected). Store air bag with bag up!

At which point did you disconnect it? Nearest the wheel or back near the orange plug?Looks like the same wires. It also seems at least rasonable to wonder weather that back plug near the sensor would be just as good to disconnect..

http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/PICTa0003.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/PICTa0004.JPG

yaofeng
07-06-2008, 07:44 PM
You do not need to remove the clam shell or the steering wheel to remove the instrument cluster. It is tight. But it can be done. I did on my 525. With the 540 it will be even easier because the telescoping function.

Scott C
07-06-2008, 08:54 PM
At which point did you disconnect it? Nearest the wheel or back near the orange plug?Looks like the same wires. It also seems at least rasonable to wonder weather that back plug near the sensor would be just as good to disconnect..

http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/PICTa0003.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/PICTa0004.JPG

The orange/black one on your second photo that is above your thumb knuckle.
Looks like your fingers are on it on the first photo - it slids out (retainer) and then you can get the connector separated.

I would not remove the cluster without removing the steering wheel - it is likely you will scratch the clear plastic unless you are very careful.

I don't know why you couldn't disconnect it as it goes to the slip ring but like I said, I don't like working with explosives and this method is what has been published and works for me (5 times to date).

bad_manners_god
07-06-2008, 08:56 PM
You do not need to remove the clam shell or the steering wheel to remove the instrument cluster. It is tight. But it can be done. I did on my 525. With the 540 it will be even easier because the telescoping function.

I've removed my cluster sooo many times without the steering wheel. And at this point, the left button that changes the messeges is broken. Most of the connector retaining clips in the back are broken. Not to mention the plastic cover is cracked when I was installing the CF Background and the chrome rings.

Jehu
07-06-2008, 10:20 PM
I've removed my cluster sooo many times without the steering wheel. And at this point, the left button that changes the messeges is broken. Most of the connector retaining clips in the back are broken. Not to mention the plastic cover is cracked when I was installing the CF Background and the chrome rings.

Unless I am mistaken one may purchase a new cluster as they don't store information such as ODO readings they merely read them ... I haven't dumped nearly $20,000.00 on this Automobile to be half-a$$ed about it. I In fact did act on the insistence of several ,against my better judgment. and maneuvered the thing out with the steering wheel in place. It was emphatically NOT easy. It barely made it thru as I turned the wheel hard as I could to one side holding it with my sweaty leg but still the Microfiber towel i had covering the clear plastic face slipped and I now have an ugly scraggly streak going across. Also I discovered the Dealership sold me the wrong bulb to replace for the tac/engine temp so it was not entirely successful. Also managed to break one of the plug levers which pry up the plugs ... When i get the correct bulb I will do this again and will remove the wheel as I ought to have in the first place ...

Jehu
07-07-2008, 12:12 AM

You may think you are correct but I should not have taken this advice,i would still have a clean plastic face on my cluster if I had proceeded with my plan and not heeded this . I am not a careless, unintelligent block-head who is too dense to see how to manipulate that thru. I read others also report they were not able to do it. I merely kept forcing it and turning the wheel. Not only was it very difficult to force it thru forcing it back in was possibly even harder. Nevertheless the once perfect plastic is now **** in spite of my best efforst to keep that towel over. Using the amount of force it took to push it thru combined with my tweaked out back and i was unable to keep it from slipping right as it slid past the wheel grip... thanks for the wonderful help..

Ferret
07-07-2008, 03:57 AM
You may think you are correct but I should not have taken this advice,i would still have a clean plastic face on my cluster if I had proceeded with my plan and not heeded this . I am not a careless, unintelligent block-head who is too dense to see how to manipulate that thru.

I read others also report they were not able to do it. I merely kept forcing it and turning the wheel. Not only was it very difficult to force it thru forcing it back in was possibly even harder.

Nevertheless the once perfect plastic is now **** in spite of my best efforst to keep that towel over.

Using the amount of force it took to push it thru combined with my tweaked out back and i was unable to keep it from slipping right as it slid past the wheel grip... thanks for the wonderful help..

Hey, I dont think that's entirely fair, you clearly state that you've forced it! If it was so damn difficult to get out and was causing so much trouble, why on earth didnt you then stop and pull the wheel off totally?

'Thanks for the wonderful help' - it obviously works on some peoples cars, but man you should use some common sense here - maybe you have a different steering wheel, maybe there's some other factor, but forcing it, scratching the **** outta it then venting at the board... that's just not on!

Ross
07-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Too bad you messed up the plastic. It can be done without removing the wheel and without damage but is a bigger pain to do so.
The steering column cover merely snaps together to answer your original question. There is no need to take it off for cluster repair.
These guys were just trying to help. You know when you are forcing something damage is likely.
I have a spare cluster and will check the condition of the "glass", if nice I will send you a PM.

Jehu
07-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I know you don't know me.. I understand they "thought" they were being helpful. I also understand I am responsible for not listening to myself and doubting the evidence of my eyes showing me as others have also found the cluster in the 540 doesn't slide out readily from any position. I tried moving it , tilting it every possible direction and angle, you don't have to believe me of course but it was clearly not something with which I should have proceeded. Just because someone posts often and does a lot of work on their own car doesn't mean they will always offer helpful accurate information. I just wish I'd listened to myself instead of complete strangers. Its a personal problem I know , doubting myself so much I won't be doing so anymore..

Jehu
07-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey, I dont think that's entirely fair, you clearly state that you've forced it! If it was so damn difficult to get out and was causing so much trouble, why on earth didnt you then stop and pull the wheel off totally?

'Thanks for the wonderful help' - it obviously works on some peoples cars, but man you should use some common sense here - maybe you have a different steering wheel, maybe there's some other factor, but forcing it, scratching the **** outta it then venting at the board... that's just not on!

No what's "not on" is people posting in a manner which appeares unambiguous but is actually as you yourself agree potentially subject to variations in designs. I forced it becasue of the insistance of those who insisted It comes out that way... I found the only even remotely possible configuration which still needed some real force to get it out and I was simply unable to catch it at that force before it slipped onto the wheel grip as it passed by. When people say;'You CAN get this out WITHOUT removing the wheel." That is an emphatic declaration in print weather the poster actually believed it or not. Due to these "helpful" posts I doubted myself when i concluded I shouldn't force it thru and I just caught the wheel grip at the last moment. Its not actually scratched its like smeared by the leather I think but it won't wash off with glass cleaner. Its a minor quibble which may cost me the price of a new cluster if i am too irked by this streak to suffer it.

Ferret
07-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Its not actually scratched its like smeared by the leather I think but it won't wash off with glass cleaner. Its a minor quibble which may cost me the price of a new cluster if i am too irked by this streak to suffer it.

Attack it with brasso and a clean cloth, it'll buff the smear out.

I have to point out, and I'll probably get crucified by the rest of the board, you're acting like the rest of the world stereotypes the US...

"I forced it and broke it..."

"It's not my fault! Who can I blame...?"

I dont subscribe to that stereotype as I'm well aware of what goes on in the world, seriously man - if I planted a black and white statement here "THE BEST WAY TO FIX IT IS TO BURN IT WITH FIRE!" would you really go and napalm your car?

You should have stopped the instant you realised it had to be forced and proceeded with a lot more logical caution.

Jehu
07-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Attack it with brasso and a clean cloth, it'll buff the smear out.

I have to point out, and I'll probably get crucified by the rest of the board, you're acting like the rest of the world stereotypes the US...

"I forced it and broke it..."

"It's not my fault! Who can I blame...?"

I dont subscribe to that stereotype as I'm well aware of what goes on in the world, seriously man - if I planted a black and white statement here "THE BEST WAY TO FIX IT IS TO BURN IT WITH FIRE!" would you really go and napalm your car?

You should have stopped the instant you realised it had to be forced and proceeded with a lot more logical caution.

Listen Chum, the fact that I heeded the words of others proves I esteem this group rather highly. I find the result of my heeding some one's unambiguous post less than helpful thus in my view they should know that so they might modify themselves in the future so as to avoid causing problems. Your examples are to be blunt,ridiculous and I stated several times already I know I should have stopped but the various insistences caused me to doubt i was properly apprehending the task and I persisted based solely and exclusively on the postings which insisted in unambiguous language that It would come out.

Bill R.
07-07-2008, 10:40 AM
do have variations such as the bottom of the cover as you found out and the size of the bolt holding the wheel on. Its too late now but after having the battery disconnected for awhile like you did, you probably would have been safe to unplug the connector at the wheel which you saw. I don't do this on bmw but i do on virtually all other makes except honda which has a disconnect similar to bmw's. As long as all the charge in the system is depleted it should be safe. You could ground the positive cable after disconnecting both battery cables to be sure that the system has discharged. Or touch the negative and positive cables together.
I always find it easier to pull the wheel than to mess around with the clutch in various contortionist moves.

Using Billr's E34 Steering wheel removal page I set out to remove mine to change Inst.Cluster Bulbs but the lower Column Cover is NOT THE SAME!LOL.. I removed the one screw but I am afraid I'll break the Plastic Cover if I don't know HOW IT COMES OFF! Can anyone explain How to remove this? I thought I'd need to unplug the SRS Airbag Orange Plug up in here;http://home.comcast.net/%7Ecpkver8/images/PICT0001.JPG

before I pull this plug;http://home.comcast.net/%7Ecpkver8/images/PICT0003.JPG
Can I just pull that and remove the Airbag Safely without unplugging any other stage? Or what about undoing the Plug back under the seat? is this perhaps the equivalent of the steering column plug on this Help Page?
http://home.comcast.net/%7Ecpkver8/images/PICT0004.JPG

and of course the Negative battery Cable is Unhooked.. I have just a few hours of daylight left and even less patients in this hellish humidity..

Bill R.
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
cover piece , i'm pretty sure its still available

do have variations such as the bottom of the cover as you found out and the size of the bolt holding the wheel on. Its too late now but after having the battery disconnected for awhile like you did, you probably would have been safe to unplug the connector at the wheel which you saw. I don't do this on bmw but i do on virtually all other makes except honda which has a disconnect similar to bmw's. As long as all the charge in the system is depleted it should be safe. You could ground the positive cable after disconnecting both battery cables to be sure that the system has discharged. Or touch the negative and positive cables together.
I always find it easier to pull the wheel than to mess around with the clutch in various contortionist moves.

Scott C
07-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Jehu,
I may have a cluster face you can have - I had to buy one when I had a false trans prog error (but that is another story). Worst case, you can find these clusters on ebay for $100 or so..

I know it sucks to have a scratched up plastic and I am sorry the other methods led you astray.

Scott

yaofeng
07-07-2008, 09:45 PM
You may think you are correct but I should not have taken this advice,i would still have a clean plastic face on my cluster if I had proceeded with my plan and not heeded this . I am not a careless, unintelligent block-head who is too dense to see how to manipulate that thru. I read others also report they were not able to do it. I merely kept forcing it and turning the wheel. Not only was it very difficult to force it thru forcing it back in was possibly even harder. Nevertheless the once perfect plastic is now **** in spite of my best efforst to keep that towel over. Using the amount of force it took to push it thru combined with my tweaked out back and i was unable to keep it from slipping right as it slid past the wheel grip... thanks for the wonderful help..

Go ahead! Talk about arguing with real life experience. Just say you can't do it and leave it at that. Don't say others can't do it because you can't.

Check this link out.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/388455/

Bill R.
07-08-2008, 12:38 AM

Go ahead! Talk about arguing with real life experience. Just say you can't do it and leave it at that. Don't say others can't do it because you can't.

Check this link out.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/388455/

DaveVoorhis
07-08-2008, 04:40 AM
Listen Chum, the fact that I heeded the words of others proves I esteem this group rather highly. I find the result of my heeding some one's unambiguous post less than helpful thus in my view they should know that so they might modify themselves in the future so as to avoid causing problems. Your examples are to be blunt,ridiculous and I stated several times already I know I should have stopped but the various insistences caused me to doubt i was properly apprehending the task and I persisted based solely and exclusively on the postings which insisted in unambiguous language that It would come out.

"So they might modify themselves in the future so as to avoid causing problems..."???

Wrong answer. There's no way in hell I'm going to start appending "YMMV" to every suggestion I make. Anyone who's worked on vehicles for more than ten minutes in their entire lives should know that if 10,000 people give unambiguous instructions stating that <fragile part X> can be trivially removed, it will turn out to be completely different on your car -- whether it's because you've got the one assembly in the entire production run that has 2mm fratzit pins instead of 4mm, or because you've missed the one obscure rotation in 3-space that will free it, or because of some variable, variation, peculiarity or difference that even God herself can't guess.

If you force something and it breaks, gets scratched, explodes, pokes an eye out, cracks, or plops onto your nuts and renders you unable to bear children, the fault is entirely, exclusively, and 100% yours, no matter how many times every respected authority within shrieking distance tells you all you have to do is pop clasp "B" and it will be gently transported to your workbench on holy pillows conveyed by gilded angels.

fukem5
07-08-2008, 08:02 PM

Check this link out.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/388455/Yaofeng, Maaate perhaps all of us experts are gonna need to modify our posts, like by getting the mods to have a lawyer draft 3 pages of disclaimers that can precede every post, to allow for memberz that spend all their time demanding expert advice n posting scorn 'n aggro when they slip up.

It'd probably only cost like $3,000.00- maybe $10 each will cover it.

After all, it's the urgent abuse, scorn'n bravado that seriozzly ****en shitz us into not being here anymore!

ryan roopnarine
07-09-2008, 10:36 AM
mere civillian checking in here......mine slides out without removing the steering wheel, mind you, at a very queer angle, and with a very tight squeeze to the plastic bezel. mind you, at no time was it in danger of breaking or scratching the face